Mississippi State Monument - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 48.145 W 077° 15.352
18S E 306876 N 4408262
Quick Description: One of the newer monuments at the historic district is topped with a beautiful, figurative statue consisting of two figures representing the fallen and the resilient.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 4/27/2012 9:35:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMEAJR
The monument to the State of Mississippi at Gettysburg is southwest of town on West Confederate Avenue, opposite Pitzer Woods, amid scores of other Rebel monuments and Confederate State monuments. The sculpture was created by Donald DeLue (who also created the State of Louisiana monument which it very close by) and Fond. Art V. Lera, founder. The monument was dedicated on October 19, 1973 and despite its "newness", it still contributes to the historic district.
The sculpture stands where General Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade began their charge into the Peach Orchard on July 2nd and represents the hand-to-hand fighting of that desperate day. The color-bearer has fallen mortally wounded and his comrade steps over his body, using his clubbed musket to defend the fallen flag. It presents a very violent image of war, desperation and perseverance. Mississippi sent over 4,900 men to Gettysburg, with almost 1,500 becoming casualties. There is a small presentation tablet near the walkway to the monument, stuck in the grass (see text marker text below)
Draw the Sword, with descriptive help from the NPS site, offers the following description: The Mississippi Monument cost $100,000.00 and was cast in Italy. Two soldiers of Barksdale’s Mississippi Brigade are represented during their charge over the Shefy and Trestle farms on July 2, 1863. One soldier lies wounded bearing a flag and leaning against a tree stump. A second soldier, swinging a musket over his shoulder and grasping the barrel end with both hands, steps over the fallen soldier. The monument has a total height of 16 feet. The base consists of Lac Dubonnet granite, the sculpture is made of bronze. SIRIS lists the dimensions as: Overall: approx. H. 16 ft. 2 in.; Base: approx. 5 ft. 2 1/2 in. x 7 ft. 11 in. x 3 ft. 10 1/2 inches. There is an inscription on the base of the monument which reads:
July 1st 2nd 3rd 1863
On this ground our brave sires fought for their righteous cause; In glory they sleep who give to it their lives
To valor, they gave new dimensions of courage
To duty its noblest fulfillment
To posterity, the sacred heritage of honor.
From the presentation tablet:
The State of Mississippi
Gettysburg Military Park
Governors John Bell Williams
and William L. Waller
Mississippi Gettysburg Memorial Commission
Dr. M. Ney Williams, Jr. - Chairman
Tom White Crigler Jr. - Vice President
Cray Evans - Secretary Dr. Byrle A. Kynerd
Justice Tom P. Brady Donald F. Garrett
Ed. C. Sturdivant Alfred P. Andrews
Clarence Pierce Stone Barefeild
The Mississippi State Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The tablet is designated as contributing structure number MN077-A.
From the nomination form:
Short Physical Description:
Bronze statue 2 soldiers, 16'2" high atop stone base, 7'11"x3'10". Base inscribed w/ dedication on W, "Mississippi" on E. Flagstone walkway surrounds mn & connects w/. Ave, overall 53'x22'. At head of walk: tablet, 1'3"x1'8" on marker, 2'1"x1'8"x9".
1. NRHP Narrative
3. Stone Sentinels
4. Virtual Gettysburg
5. Draw the Sword
6. Historical Marker Database