Igreja do Convento das Capuchinhas - Guimarães, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 26.369 W 008° 17.344
29T E 559391 N 4587789
Quick Description: [PT]Convento e Igreja das Capuchinhas, fundado no ano de 1681 e à época também denominado de Convento Madre Deus.[EN]Convent and Church of the Capuchins, founded in 1681 and at that time also called Mother of God Convent.
Location: Braga, Portugal
Date Posted: 4/24/2012 4:33:13 AM
Waymark Code: WME9X8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
[PT]
"Convento e Igreja das Capuchinhas, fundado no ano de 1681 e à época também denominado de Convento Madre
Deus no Lugar de Campo Galego, edificado pelos Franciscanos e dada a sua relação com a Ordem fundada por Santa Clara, o Convento e Igreja então edificados, deram corpo ao “Mosteiro de Madre Deus das Capuchinhas ou de Claristas Reformadas”.

Sabe-se que ao tempo receberam o hábito 20(vinte) religiosas que receberam “véu preto” e em clausura recolhidas no Convento que recebera o brasão das filhas da Madre Deus e no ano de 1689 a Câmara «comprometeu-se a assegurar o sustento do Convento, quando para tal não chegassem as esmolas e enquanto o número de freiras não excedesse as 20 (vinte)…» e dado o falecimento da última religiosa no ano de 1888, de acordo com a lei, foi extinto o Convento, do que na actualidade restam o claustro de estrutura “simples”, tendo ao centro um chafariz em granito do século XVIII e a Igreja com a porta lateral para um adro fronteiro onde existe um Cruzeiro, datado do ano de 1775, assente em degraus de pedra."

[EN]
"Convent and Church of the Capuchins, founded in 1681 and at that time also called Mother of God Convent in Galician Field Location, built by the Franciscans and given its relationship with the Order founded by St. Clare, the convent and church then built, gave body to the "Mother of God Monastery of the Capuchin Claristas or Reformed."

It is known that at the time received the habit 20 (twenty) who received religious "black veil" and collected in the cloistered Convent that had received the arms of God and daughters of Mother in the year 1689 the Board "has undertaken to ensure the livelihood the Convent, where this did not reach the alms and while the number of the nuns did not exceed twenty (20) ... 'and given the death of the last religious in 1888, according to the law, the convent was dissolved, than at present left the cloister structure "simple", with a fountain in the middle of the eighteenth century granite, and the Church with the side door to a courtyard where there is an opposite Cross, dating from the year 1775, based on stone steps."


Informação retirada de (visit link)
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Convento das Capuchinhas

Address:
Guimarães, Braga Portugal


Religious affiliation: Catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1/1/1681

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.