New York State Monument - Sharpsburg, MD
N 39° 28.508 W 077° 44.695
18S E 263893 N 4373101
Quick Description: This 30-foot, Doric column was erected by N.Y. for $30,000. The 1920 N.Y. State Legislature appropriated $17,500 for the dedication exercises held under the auspices of the N.Y. Monuments Commission. The monument looms high over the battlefield.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 4/21/2012 4:42:24 AM
Waymark Code: WME93R
Dedicated in 1919 (another site says September 17, 1920), the New York State Monument is located just north or left of the park Visitor Center. This huge column was erected in 1919 by State of New York. The monument was rededicated on September 2, 1962 by the State of New York, Civil War Centennial Commission. To fully appreciate this sculpture and so you can see the eagle with the outstretched wings atop the monument, be sure to view it from afar first. The Doric column is mounted on a 36 foot square pedestal on a tiered base.
From 1890s to 1960s veterans’ organizations erected monuments to commemorate the people and actions associated the Battle of Antietam (16-18 September 1862). The New York State Monument contributes to the National Register District under Criterion A, period of significance 1800-1899. The monument is referenced as structure number 036.
This monument honors the 27,000 men from New York State that served at the Battle of Antietam. The particular parcel of land upon which the monument rests was chosen because it represents the southern edge of "the bloodiest square mile in American History," and can be seen from most parts of the field.
The New York State Monument was a collaborative effort between architect Edward Pearce Casey and sculptors Ricci and Zarri. The granite components were manufactured by the Swenson Granite Company of Concord, New Hampshire, and the bronze tablets were cast by the Henry Connard Bronze Company.
The New York State Monument was listed on the National Register on October 15, 1966, with a confirmation National Register form updated and approved by the Keeper on February 10, 1982. It is one of ten monuments dedicated to the New York troops who fought at Antietam.
The text reads:
The State of New York
in commemoration of the Services
of its officers and soldiers
in the Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862
Record of New York State at Antietam
67 Regiments of Infantry
5 Regiments of Cavalry
14 Batteries of Artillery
2 Regiments of Engineers
New York's losses on this field were
65 officers and 624 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded
110 officers and 2687 enlisted men wounded and
2 officers and 277 men captured or missing, making a total of 3765.
General Officers from New York State in command
Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner, 2nd C.
Maj. Gen. Fitz John Porter, 5th C.
Maj. Gen. Henry W. Slocum
Maj. Gen. George W. Morell
Maj. Gen. Darius N. Couch
Brig. Gen. James B. Ricketts
Brig. Gen. Abner Doubleday
Brig. Gen. George S. Greene
Brig. Gen. M.R. Patrick
Brig. Gen. Abram Duryee
Brig. Gen. Thomas F. Meagher
Brig. Gen. Geo. L. Hartsuff
Brig. Gen. Max Weber
Brig. Gen. Erastus B. Tyler
Brig. Gen. John Cochrane
Brig. Gen. Edward Ferrero
Brig. Gen. G. K. Warren
Col. Wm. H. Christian
Col. Walter Phelps, Jr.
Col. T. B. W. Stockton
Col. Joseph J. Bartlett
Col. H.S. Fairchild
Col. John Burke
Col. William B. Goodrich
Col. Wm. P. Wainwright
Lt. Col. Jonathan Austin
Lt. Col. James C. Lane
Erected A. D. 1919
Under the auspices of the New York Monument Commission
Co. Lewis R. Stegman, Chairman; Col. Clinton Beckwith,
Charles A. Shaw, U.S.C.; Brig. Gen. Charles W. Berry, Adj. Gen. S.N.Y.
From the nomination form:
Short Physical Description
The New York State Monument is located in a field north of the Visitor’s Center. It is composed of a 20’ square marble platform supporting a square base and 30’ tall Roman Doric column topped with an eagle. Bronze plaques on the base give battle and troop-related information.
The New York State Monument is located in a field north of the Visitor’s Center. It consists of a 26’ square platform supporting a square pedestal and 30’ tall Roman Doric column. The monument was designed by architect Edward Pearce Casey and sculptors Ricci and Zarri. The granite components were manufactured from Concord, New Hampshire granite by the Swenson Granite Company and the bronze tablets were cast by the Henry Bonnard Bronze Company.
Long Physical Description
The marble-tiled platform measures 26’ square and has a low parapet wall. Steps providing access to the monument are located in the center of each of the four sides of the platform. In the center of the platform is a 6’6” square pedestal that supports the Doric column. Bronze plaques bearing troop- and battle-related information are located on each side of the pedestal. The text was not included in this physical description due to its length. Towering 30’ above the base is the Roman Doric column. It is fluted with an eagle with outstreached wings perched atop its egg-and-dart molded capital.
The monument has open joints, discolored plaques, and is chipped in several places.
1. NRHP Nomination Form
3. Stone Sentinels
4. Virtual Antietam
5. Historical Marker Database