Companies A, B, D, & H, US (NY) Sharpshooters Monument - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 48.480 W 077° 15.454
18S E 306747 N 4408885
Quick Description: One of 90 monuments honoring N.Y. units in the Gettysburg campaign. The memorial, dedicated July 2, 1889, is located where four companies of sharpshooters reconnoitered on the afternoon of July 2, 1863, running into skirmishes with Confederate units.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2012 3:42:34 PM
Waymark Code: WME90K
The 1st United States Sharpshooters, Companies A, B, D, and H (New York) served as a member of Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, a Fighting 300 Regiment. The unit was commanded by Colonel Hiram Berdan (1824-1893) who was an American engineer, inventor and military officer, world-renowned marksman, and the guiding force behind and commanding colonel of the famed United States Volunteer Sharpshooter Regiments during the American Civil War. He was the inventor of the Berdan rifle, the Berdan centerfire primer and numerous other weapons and accessories. The regiment had 371 men engaged at Gettysburg with a total of 6 killed, 37 wounded, and 6 who went missing.
The Sharpshooters Monument is located at the Berdan Avenue circle/rotary in Pitzer Woods. This little side road is off of S.W. Confederate Avenue. The road is rather small, leading into the woods which loops around like a cul-de-sac and then comes back out to the main road again. The monument faces west. Parky is easy enough; just park along the circle's edge but stay off of the grass. I visited this monument on Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM, just before the clocks were set ahead for the Spring. I was at a 544 foot ASL elevation.
The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site offers the following description: Monument comprised of a granite cylindrical shaft with partial fluting and a conical top, set atop a granite stepped base with bronze tablets. Flanking markers are flat topped, one foot square.
The memorial was dedicated on July 2, 1889 and is located where four companies of sharpshooters reconnoitered on the afternoon of July 2, 1863, running into skirmishes from the Confederate units.
The monument was erected on July 2, 1889 by the State of New York and was fabricated by Frederick & Field who seemed to have their hands in many granite monuments completed in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The other sharpshooter monument across the circle was also dedicated on the same exact day but by the State of Vermont. The monument is made of Quincy granite and has bronze tablets/adornments. SIRIS lists the dimensions as: Memorial: approx. H. 20 ft. x 6 in.; Base: approx. W. 7 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 3 in. The are inscriptions on all four sides which read:
(Front):1st. U.S. Sharpshooters
2d. Brig. 1st Div. 3d Corps
is dedicated to
the brave men
of this command
who fell at
(Right):One hundred Sharp Shooters
reconnoitered to this spot
about 12. M. July 2d. 1863,
losing here nineteen men.
They first developed
the enemy's threatened attack
upon our left and rear.
July 3d. the regiment supported
batteries along Cemetery Ridge
on the 4th it picketed
and skirmished near the
Killed 6, Wounded 37,
Captured 6, Total 49.
was recruited in 1861,
five northern states
four New York Companies,
("A", "B", "D", and "H".).
Served in 3rd, 5th, and 2nd Corps,
from Yorktown (1862)
to Appomattox (1865).
The Companies A, B, D, & H, US (NY) Sharpshooters Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN075-B.
From the Nomination Form:
This monument was placed where the 4th New York of US Sharpshooters reconnoitered on July 2, 1863 after Sickles moved up his III Corps line to determine threat of enemy attack. 1 of 90 in Park to NY troops at Gettysburg. Located S side Berdan Ave in Pitzer Woods.
Short Physical Description:
Mn & 2 flank markers. Base, 7'3"x7'3". Cylindrical shaft w/ partial fluting & conical top. All 20'6" high. Inscription tablets, 2'3"x2'6", bronze state seal, raised inscription & carved leaf cornice on base. Flank markers, flat topped, 1'x1'x1'6".
Long Physical Description:
Monument that has two flanking markers. The monument is a cylindrical granite shaft with partial fluting and a conical top set on a 7.3 foot square base. Inscription tablets that are 2.3x2.6 foot with a bronze seal, a raised inscription, and carved leaf cornice on the base. Flanking markers are flat topped, one foot square. Located on the south side of Berdan Avenue in Pitzer Woods.
1. NRHP Nomination Form
3. Stone Sentinels
4. Virtual Gettysburg
5. Draw the Sword
6. Historical Marker Database