Pumphouse Relief - Maratime Quarter, Swansea, Wales.
N 51° 36.995 W 003° 56.223
30U E 435123 N 5718810
Quick Description: The Quay owes its name to the former Hydraulic Pumphouse, whose tower has dominated the Maratime Quarter since the beginning of the 20th century. This relief shows the old steam engine, that was used to power the swing bridge, dock gates & cranes.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/18/2012 3:07:35 AM
Waymark Code: WME8ER
Pumphouse Quay relief, is representative of the first steam engine that used to reside in the Pump House, The relief is located on the wall of the pumphouse, which is an industrial relic of Swansea's maratime past.
The Pumphouse is now a Restaurant & Pub, The Bridge is used as a Dinning area.
"Built in 1900 to supply power for the new swing-bridge and locks, the building replaced the early machinery fitted by James Abernethy and Sir George Armstrong.
The building & bridge was used for the last time in 1971, when the last vessel left the South Dock, & the dock became the Marina.
Source:- (visit link