Convento de São Francisco - Guimarães, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 26.444 W 008° 17.556
29T E 559095 N 4587925
Quick Description: [PT]O Convento e Igreja de São Francisco localizam-se na freguesia de São Sebastião na cidade de Guimarães.[EN]The Convent and Church of San Francisco are located in the parish of São Sebastião in the city of Guimarães.
Location: Braga, Portugal
Date Posted: 4/16/2012 5:48:07 AM
Waymark Code: WME808
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
[PT]O Convento e Igreja de São Francisco localizam-se na freguesia de São Sebastião na cidade de Guimarães.

"A história da Ordem Franciscana em Guimarães remonta a 1217, em pleno reinado de D. Afonso III, quando chegou à vila frei Guálter, um missionário enviado a Portugal para introduzir esta ordem mendicante no país. Após um primeiro período muito precário, os franciscanos de Guimarães instalaram-se em 1271 numa albergaria localizada junto às muralhas da vila, na qual construíram um convento. Nestes primeiros tempos os frades entraram frequentemente em conflito com a Colegiada de Guimarães, que tentou impedir a instalação da ordem na vila.

O convento franciscano junto às muralhas duraria pouco tempo, pois em 1325 o edifício teve de ser demolido por ordem de D. Dinis, por comprometer a segurança do burgo em caso de cerco. Os frades mudaram-se a umas casas precárias até 1400, quando D. João I ordenou a reedificação do convento, no local onde ainda se encontra. A obra durou grande parte do século XV. A ábside da igreja, que ainda é a original em estilo gótico, foi terminada por volta de 1461. Nesse ano D. Constança de Noronha (1395-1480), 1ª duquesa de Bragança, entrou na Ordem Terceira de São Francisco e, ao morrer, foi sepultada na igreja. O túmulo com seu perfil jacente ainda pode ser visto no interior.

De finais do século XVI é o claustro de perfil clássico, uma importante obra em estilo maneirista. Porém, a maior modificação da Era Moderna ocorreu na década de 1740, quando a nave de igreja foi totalmente alterada: os arcos e colunas da nave foram suprimidos, criando um espaço unificado do tipo igreja-salão. Na área entre o transepto e a nave, os três arcos originais foram também substituídos por um arco único monumental. Por essa época foi realizado o novo retábulo da capela-mor, da autoria de Miguel Francisco da Silva e executado por Manuel da Costa Andrade, além de vários outros retábulos de talha dourada que decoram a igreja."

Retirado da Wikipedia


[EN]The Convent and Church of San Francisco are located in the parish of São Sebastião in the city of Guimarães.

"The history of the Franciscan Order in Guimarães dates back to 1217, right in the reign of King Afonso III, when it came to village Father Gualter, a missionary sent to Portugal to introduce this mendicant order in the country. After a very poor first period, the Franciscans of Guimarães settled in 1271 in a hostel located next to the walls of the townin which built a convent. In these early days the brothers often came into conflict with the Collegiate Church of Guimarães, who tried to prevent the establishment of order in the village.

The Franciscan convent next to the walls would last a short time, because in 1325 the building had to be demolished by order of D. Dinis, because it compromise the security of the village in case of siege. The brothers moved to a few shacks until 1400, when D. John I ordered the rebuilding of the convent at the site where he remains. The work lasted much of the fifteenth century. The apse of the church, which is still the original Gothic style, was completed around 1461. This year D. Constance de Noronha (1395-1480), 1st Duchess of Braganza, he entered the Third Order of St. Francis, and when he died, was buried in the church. The tomb with recumbent profile can still be seen inside.

From the late sixteenth century cloister is the classic profile, an important work in the mannerist style. But the biggest change in the modern era occurred in the 1740s, when the nave of the church was completely changed: the arches and columns of the nave were removed, creating a unified space-hall-type church. In the area between the transept and nave, the three original arches were replaced by a single arch monumental. By this time the new altarpiece was made of the chapel, designed by Miguel Francisco da Silva and executed by Manuel da Costa Andrade, and many other golden engravings that decorate the church."

From Wikipedia
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Convento de São Francisco

Address:
São Sebastião
Guimarães, Braga Portuga


Religious affiliation: Ordem Franciscana

Date founded/constructed: 1/1/1400

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Inactive or vacant

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.