BBC Studios & Offices - Savoy Place, London, UK
N 51° 30.585 W 000° 07.168
30U E 699884 N 5710447
Quick Description: This plaque is on the south wall of the Institute of Electrical Engineers building in London.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/15/2012 9:52:28 AM
Waymark Code: WME7R2
The inscription on the stone plaque reads:
"From 1923 to 1932
The studios and offices of
The British Broadcasting Company
and its successor
The British Broadcasting Corporation
were in this building".
The BBC website (visit
link) has this to say about the building:
"The first home of the BBC
Savoy Hill, off the Strand in central London, was designed by Stephen Salter and
opened for medical use in 1889. It became the home of the Institute of
Electrical Engineers, which offered accommodation to the British Broadcasting
Company in 1923.
Early Radio days
Early radio contributors in Savoy Hill included HG Wells and George Bernard
Shaw, who were offered whisky and soda as they relaxed in the atmosphere of a
gentlemen’s club. Here, radio drama flourished, weather forecasts and Big Ben
chimes were introduced, and listeners could even follow cricket coverage.
However, broadcasting developed exponentially – two studios quickly became nine,
and the cramped but cosy environment of Savoy Hill was abandoned when the BBC
moved to its first purpose-built centre, Broadcasting House in Regent Street.
The BBC left the site in May 1932."