Sexsmith Millennium Time Capsule - Sexsmith, Alberta
Posted by: wildwoodke
N 55° 20.929 W 118° 47.065
11U E 386852 N 6135058
Quick Description: This time capsule was dedicated on December 31, 1999 and is to be opened 100 years later in the village of Sexsmith, Alberta.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 8:20:29 PM
Waymark Code: WME67W
This small park with the tourist information centre, old caboose, a Legion memorial, information plaques, bandstand gazebo, walking trail and small parking lots make this park an easy place to get to, meet and interact with the community.
A focal point, with main street right there, makes this small park a great place to unwind, not that this is a high stress community. Members of the village office across the street might have a lunch outside on the bench or tables, a great place for an outdoor meeting.
The park was developed as part of the communities millennium celebrations. The time capsule gathered elements of interest for when it is opened in 100 years.
The millennium time capsule has the following text:
Sexsmith Millennium time Capsule
Linking the Past to the Future
Dedicated December 31, 1999
To be opened January 1st 2100
Project includes the Town Clock, Bandstand Gazebo,
Time Capsule, Skating Rink and the
Development of the Millennium Park.
Made possible by the support of:
69 agencies and families
Jean & Bob Rycroft, Pat & Norm Parchewsky, Benda & Ron Cairns & Matthew Barnfield,
Members of the Sexsmith Millennium Committee.
The list of contributors to the time capsule project is lengthy and clearly demonstrates that it was a community event.
The history of the village, that will be further expanded by the time the capsule is opened will have many wondering where the name of the town came from. "The name "Sexsmith" has intrigued all who heard it since Sexsmith came into being in 1916. Sexsmith was actually the second name chosen for our townsite. Originally named, "Bennville" after early 1911 settler J.B. "Benny" Foster, upon whose homestead the townsite was established. The name changed when it was discovered that there was already a town bearing that name. Our town became Sexsmith in honour of David Sexsmith, a trapper and trader who first came into the area in 1898 and set up a stopping place just north of the present town in 1912. Sexsmith reestablished his store and post-office at the present town-site in 1916, the same year the railroad reached here."