Abbaye Benedictine Saint-Julien / Benedictine Abbey of St. Julian (Tours, France)
N 47° 23.760 E 000° 41.230
31T E 325473 N 5251765
Quick Description: The compound of the former Benedictine Abbey of St. Julian (Abbaye Benedictine Saint-Julien) together with church consecrated to the same saint belong among the most valuable historic monuments of Tours...
Location: Centre, France
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 2:23:11 AM
Waymark Code: WME60K
The compound of the former Benedictine Abbey of St. Julian (Abbaye Benedictine Saint-Julien) together with church consecrated to the same saint belong among the most valuable historic monuments of Tours.
The Abbey, one of the oldest in Europe, was founded by Grégoire de Tours in 575. After it had been destroyed by Normans it was restored in 935 by bishop Theotolon in the spirit of Cluniac Reform of Benedictine order. In the following three centuries the existing Romanesque-Gothic church of St. Julian was erected. During centuries the church was not modified whereas the history of Abbey is much more complex and mirrors the turbulent history of France. The cellars and the chapter-house (late XIIth century) are the main buildings from the Middle Ages and are still preserved.
The great urban works in Tours also had important consequences on St. Julian Abbey. The large Abbey's area was reduced in 17th century thanks to construction of new streets and this process continued in the 18th century by the opening the Rue Royale, creation of the Place Royale and the regulations of Loire river banks.
The Abbey's story was finished by the French Revolution when it was abolished and in 1846 purchased and carefully restored by Gustave Guerin. It survived both World Wars and finally was reconstructed for public use (museum, gallery etc.). The church, owned by the state is still under spiritual administration of Diocese of Tours.