St John The Baptist Church, Blawith
N 54° 17.142 W 003° 05.658
30U E 493861 N 6015313
Quick Description: St John the Baptist church is a small church in the hamlet of Blawith. Currently not used for regular worship, but still consecrated with a graveyard.
Location: Northwest England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/7/2012 1:50:36 PM
Waymark Code: WME5TY
The original chapel, now a ruin, is on the other side of the road. This old chapel was founded in 1577, and moved across later. Eventually rebuilt in 1863 on the present site for a cost of £1600 to a design by the prolific architect E G Paley. There is only seating for 171. The church is built of whinstone with a slate roof in a Gothic Revival style. The stained glass windows are notable as they depict the Ascension, the Presentation in the Temple, and the Adoration of the Magi.
The church had work done in 1914 and 1926 by the successors of Paley's practice, Austin, Paley and Austin. Now joined by a partner and his son.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1863
Age of Church building determined by?: Church website
If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Anglican
Street address of Church:
St John The Baptist church
via Ulverston, Cumbria England
Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]
Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]
If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed
If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed
Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.
2) Please share some comments about your visit.
3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.