"BURWASH INDUSTRIAL FARM" - Burwash ON
N 46° 15.805 W 080° 48.724
17T E 514482 N 5123332
Quick Description: The Township of Burwash
4 km south of Estaire, turn right onto a military road, which runs west off of Highway 69. Drive for approximately .25 km, turn left and immediately left again.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 4/2/2012 7:19:58 PM
Waymark Code: WME4KH
Burwash Industrial Farm was established in 1914 based on the revolutionary premise that low-risk inmates would benefit from the exercise and skills learned while working outdoors at self-supporting institutions. Burwash Industrial Farm accommodated between 180 and 820 minimum and medium security offenders with sentences of three months to two years less a day. Over time, it grew it to occupy 14,100 ha owned and 40,800 ha leased, housing three permanent camp sites, several temporary ones, and a town of prison staff families with a population of 600 to 1,000 people. Prison inmates provided labour to build the entire community and ran an extensive mixed farm, a tailor shop, and a prosperous logging operation. Burwash Industrial Farm was one of the largest reform institutions in 20th century Ontario. It closed in 1975 because of changes in correctional practices.
Address or location of plaque: Located on the Burwash Military Base
Physical location of plaque: Other location
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": No physical remains but there is a nearby pond
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Location'
Condition of sign: Excellent
Is this a bilingual sign?: Yes !
A web-site for more details.: Not listed
What is the second/third language?: Not listed
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.