Coity Castle - Bridgend - Wales.
N 51° 31.322 W 003° 33.199
30U E 461611 N 5708024
Quick Description: Now greatly ruined, Coity Castle retains several distinctly Norman features. Well-preserved portions include the eastern face, parts of the battlements, and the wall-walk which connected the three-storied keep with the curtain wall.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/28/2012 10:04:29 AM
Waymark Code: WME34H
"By the start of the 12th century, the Normans had extended the Welsh Marches as far west into Wales as the Lordship of Coity. Two other castles joined Coity to defend the Lordship of Glamorgan along the western border of the Marches: Newcastle (first erected by Robert FitzHamon) and Ogmore (built by William de Londres). The three castles were certainly a formidable lot. Each represented a particular lord, but also belonged to Glamorgan.
In the 1180's, Sir Gilbert de Turberville had control of the Lordship and Castle of Coity. During his tenure, the castle was refortified with stone. Some fragments of the original masonry have survived. Sir Gilbert's greatest contributions were the keep, the curtain wall which encloses the Inner Bailey, and the northeast tower."
Source:- (visit link