Teleki Castle (Dovhe)
Posted by: UKRDOUG
N 48° 22.022 E 023° 16.952
34U E 669050 N 5359613
Quick Description: Jovan Teleki began building this palace in 1712 over the remains of a 15th century castle.
Date Posted: 3/27/2012 6:31:15 AM
Waymark Code: WME2W7
The Teleki family immigrated to the Hungarian Kingdom from Serbia long before the Great Serb Migration at the end of the 17th century. Colonel Jovan Teleki was the commander-in-chief of Hungarian forces in the Pomorisje section of the Military Frontier (roughly equivalent to western Romania and parts of south-eastern Hungary). He distinguished himself at the Battle of Zenta (1696) that forced the Ottoman Empire to sign the Treaty of Karlowitz (1699) that ended Turkish control over huge sections of the Hungarian Kingdom. He then again shined in the suppression of the Rakoczi War of Independence (1703-1711) when the Transylvanian Prince Ferenc Rakoczi rose up against the Hungarian Kingdom.
As a reward for his service, Habsburg Emperor Joseph I granted him hereditary nobility title as well as this land within Transylvania. Jovan began building this palace in 1712 over the remains of a 15th century castle. Remnants of the previous castle can still be seen in the basement walls of the current palace. Jovan then had a prominent role in the capture of Timisoara (1716). Soon the relationship between Jovan and the Habsburg Empire began to deteriorate and Jovan even visited Ferenc Rakoczi in his exile in Turkey.
The Austrians no longer trusted the Teleki family and Jovan’s son, Ranko, never rose above the rank of captain. The War of the Austrian Succession, known as King George’s War by the American colonists, began in 1740 when Habsburg Emperor Charles VI died and his daughter Maria Theresa was crowned the first Habsburg Empress. France and Prussia saw this as an opportunity to reduce the Habsburg power and declared her succession a violation of Salic Law which precluded royal inheritance by a woman. Great Britain and the Dutch Republic sided with Austria in the European conflict. Ranko Teleki served as a commander of the Arad Company of Pomorisje Militia. He became sick and turned command to his son, Peter Teleki, who was a lieutenant. Peter wanted to remain as commander, but his father refused to cede his authority, so Peter returned home and emigrated to Russia where he would go on to a distinguished career in the Russian army.
Shortly after, the Teleki family turned their palace into a fortress by adding an enclosed wall in the middle of the 18th century. The octahedral entrance tower was built in 1774 and the complex was complete by the end of the century.
In the middle of the inner courtyard was planted a park, remnants of which can still be seen today. In the center of the park is a lime tree planted by the Teleki family that would take eight people with outstretched arms to encircle.
Today the complex serves as a tuberculosis hospital (so don't drink the water).
Accessibility: No access - dangerous
Admission Charge?: no
Website: Not listed
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.