Candler Hospital - Chatham County, GA
Posted by: Lat34North
N 32° 01.677 W 081° 06.032
17S E 490507 N 3543538
Quick Description: Georgia's first hospital, Candler is the second oldest continuously operating hospital in the United States. Located in front of the hospital at 5353 Reynolds Avenue, Savannah, GA.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 3/26/2012 2:11:03 PM
Waymark Code: WME2PH
"Highly regarded as THE premier health provider in the region, St. Joseph's/Candler (SJ/C) combines high-impact technology, breakthrough clinical treatments and time-honored compassionate care to create "smart medicine"-an innovative approach to health and well being.
SJ/C offers healthcare services across the entire continuum, including local and regional primary care, specialized inpatient and outpatient services at our two anchor hospitals, home healthcare services, as well as a wide variety of community outreach and education efforts throughout the region.
Our faith-based, holistic approach to healing encourages individuals to become more knowledgeable about their personal health, while providing the most advanced, comprehensive treatments and state-of-the-art medical technologies available almost anywhere.
While both our anchor hospitals provide an extensive array of healthcare services, our Centers of Excellence provide the finest, tertiary care services in the region. These include:
•The Heart Hospital
•Nancy N. and J. C. Lewis Cancer and Research Pavilion
•Mary Telfair Women's Hospital
•Institute for Advanced Bone and Joint Surgery
•Institute for Neurosciences"
Source: The St. Joseph's/Candler
From the historic marker located at the flag pavilion in front of the hospital.
Georgia's first hospital, Candler is the second oldest continuously operating hospital in the United States. Its history began in the 1730s when Methodist missionary George Whitfield brought medicines to treat sick seamen and the poor. Chartered in 1804 as a seaman's hospital and poor house, it was later incorporated in 1808 under the name Savannah Poor House and Hospital Society. In 1819, the hospital moved to Gaston Street where it remained for 160 years. After Union forces occupied Savannah, the building served as a Union Hospital until 1866. Renamed the Savannah Hospital in 1872, it later housed the city's first nursing school which opened in 1902. The Methodist Church purchased the hospital in 1930, renaming it for Bishop Warren A. Candler. In 1960, the hospital joined forces with the country's oldest women's hospital, Mary Telfair. In 1978 groundbreaking ceremonies were held on this site and the facility was completed in October 1980. In 1992 it was renamed Candler Hospital and in 1997, the hospital entered a joint operating agreement with St. Joseph's Hospital, forming St. Joseph's Candler Health System.
025-03 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 2004