Biesecker Woods - Cast Iron Site ID Tablet - Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 47.678 W 077° 15.317
18S E 306905 N 4407396
Quick Description: Every house, road and patch of woods at Gettysburg are marked with cast iron tablets produced in the late 19th century. These patch of woods, near the" Bloody Wheatfield", designates an area where heavy fighting occurred in July of 1863.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 3/24/2012 4:53:52 PM
Waymark Code: WME27Y
Although not a building or structure, per se, these cast iron markers play an important role in the historic status of this district. These cast iron tablets were erected in 1896 as the development and preservation of the park moved into full gear.
There are a several dozen of these old, cast iron markers, most constructed and erected in 1896. E.B. Cope designed all of these markers as well as the tablets and historical markers, also made of cast iron. They were all constructed by War Department. The avenue, house and woods markers are low to the ground, roadside and help to identify the various road systems as well as farmhouses and other physical structures and buildings which play an important role in the historic district. Each marker is painted black with white letters.
This ID tablet is located at east edge of the woods at Emmitsburg Road and is on the left or west side of the road if traveling north, at the very edge of the wood of the road a bit. The tablet represents 1 of 35 Site ID Tablets erected by the by US War Dept's post-Civil War development of the battlefield which contributes to the memorial landscape. These woods were used to shelter & screen the movements of the rebel infantry & artillery on July 2-4, 1863.
The Biesecker Woods - Cast Iron Site ID Tablet is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. This roadside marker is listed as contributing structure number ID47.
From the NRHP narrative page for this tablet:
Short Physical Description:
Painted raised letter and border inscription tablet, 2'9"x1'8", with round corners. Mounted on fluted post, 3' high. Located on east edge of the woods at Emmitsburg Road.
1. NRHP Narrative