Hebrew Cemetery - Reno, NV
N 39° 32.238 W 119° 49.181
11S E 257677 N 4380201
Quick Description: The Hebrew Cemetery is located just west of the University of Nevada Reno in Reno, Nevada.
Location: Nevada, United States
Date Posted: 3/13/2012 12:33:17 PM
Waymark Code: WMDZGM
The Hebrew Cemetery is located on Angel Street, near the University of Nevada Reno. It is directly north of, and adjacent to, the Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery. The cemetery has been in use from 1878 to the present. The Hebrew Cemetery is used by all the local and not so local synagogues, including Temple Emanu-El. The site has 300+ graves and a caretaker. This is the only entirely Jewish cemetery in northern Nevada except for the one in Virginia City that is hard to find.
The Hebrew Benevolent Society purchased and fenced two acres of land for a cemetery adjoining the private burial ground of Mr. Sanders, commonly known as the Hillside Cemetery. An avenue 30 feet wide was laid out around the Society's ground. As of July 2011, there were 410 interments at this cemetery.
An early settler, David Lachman, was instrumental in establishing a Jewish cemetery in 1877. Lachman co-founded the Reno Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1879 to assist newcomers, and in the absence of a rabbi, he was often called upon to lead High Holiday services.
The Name of the Cemetery: yes
City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: yes
Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery: yes
Approximate number of graves: yes
The Name of the Cemetery
City, Town, or Parish / State / Country
Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery
Approximate number of graves