By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

James L. Kemper Residence
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
N 38° 23.000 W 078° 15.255
17S E 739830 N 4251917
Quick Description: Former post-Civil War governor's house is now the county administration center.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 3/13/2012 5:51:01 AM
Waymark Code: WMDZDZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
Views: 2

Long Description:
Marker text:
This Greek Revival-style house was built about 1852 for state senator Thomas N. Welch. In 1868 James Lawson Kemper (1823–1895) purchased it from his mother-in-law, Mrs. Belfield Cave. Kemper, an attorney, represented Madison County in the House of Delegates (1853–1863), served as speaker (1861–1863), led a brigade in the Civil War, was wounded in Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg, and served as governor of Virginia (1874–1878). In 1882 he moved from Madison to Walnut Hills in Orange County.

Marker is in front of the historical residence. It is now the Madison County Administration Center and Health Department. Address is 414 North Main Street.

Marker Number: JE-3

Marker Title: James L. Kemper Residence

Marker Location: Along US29 Business in Madison, VA

County or Independent City: Madison County

Marker Program Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources, 1991

Web Site: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Rivers End visited James L. Kemper Residence 9/1/2012 Rivers End visited it