The Delaware Continentals - NC-161
N 39° 43.725 W 075° 37.339
18S E 446669 N 4397836
Quick Description: This Delaware Historical Marker is in front of the Delaware National Guard Armory at 1401 Newport Gap Pike in Wilmington Delaware.
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 3/5/2012 4:50:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMDX5R
~ text from the marker ~
On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a body of troops be raised in Delaware "for the defense of American liberty." Commanded by Colonel John Haslet, the Delaware Regiment consisted of more than 500 battle-ready troops when they marched northward to join the Continental Army in August 1776. After expiration of enlistments and Haslet's death, the Regiment was reorganized in the winter of 1776-77 under the leadership of Colonel David Hall. Participants in many of the major battles of the Revolution, their conduct earned the praise of their superiors and the respect of their enemies. Forced to endure great hardship, the Regiment was widely acclaimed for its discipline and bravery. Greatly depleted in number, they returned to Delaware victorious in January 1783. The Delaware National Guard's 198th Signal Battalion traces its lineage to the Delaware Continentals, and honors them today through their continued dedication and service.
Delaware Public Archives - 2007 - NC-161
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.