Penparcau Tollhouse - National History Museum of Wales.
N 51° 29.248 W 003° 16.592
30U E 480799 N 5704071
Quick Description: Penparcau Tollhouse, Aberystwyth, built in 1771 and used for collecting tolls until 1889, it was then used as a dwelling for the next 70 years, The Tollhouse was relocated in 1968 to St Fagans, National History Museum of Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/1/2012 11:37:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMDWBQ
"A famous feature that existed in Penparcau was the toll house. It was built in 1771 and stood at the southern junction of Penparcau (hence the name Southgate). It was built of local slate stone and was roofed with Pembrokeshire slates. David Jones of Dihewyd was appointed as the first gatekeeper in November 1771, and the first tolls were charged on 23 March 1772. The building contains just one room, one end being used for the collection of tolls. A single fireplace at the opposite end of the house was used for heating and cooking. Toll houses were very unpopular with people in rural areas who had to pay to travel along the roads. At St Fagans the house has been furnished in the style of 1843, the period of the Rebecca Riots when many tollgates were destroyed in Wales. Turnpike Trusts were eventually abolished in 1864 with county councils taking over responsibility for building and maintaining the roads but the Penparcau toll house remained a residence until the 1960s."
Source:- (visit link