Colonial Roads
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Peter and Gloria
N 38° 48.754 W 077° 38.243
18S E 271005 N 4299281
Quick Description: This Virginia Historical Marker describes the origins of Haymarket at the junction of the Old Carolina Road and a branch of the Dumfries Road. It's located in a small park on Washington Street (Hwy 55) and Fayette Street in Newmarket, Virginia.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 2/29/2012 2:44:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMDW60
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
Views: 3

Long Description:
~ English text from marker ~
Colonial Roads
The Town of Newmarket, chartered in 1799, owes its location to the junction of the Old Carolina Road and the north branch of the Dumfries Road at the site of the Red House. The Carolina Road developed from the Iroquois hunting path which abandoned by the Indians after 1722 when they were forced by treaty beyond the Blue Ridge. The Dumfries Road was in use as a major trade route between the Potomac and the Shenandoah Valley before 1740.
Prince William County Historical Commission
1979

Marker Number: n/a

Marker Title: Colonial Roads

Marker Location: Washington Street (Hwy 55) and Fayette Street

County or Independent City: Prince William County

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: Prince William County Historical Commission

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Peter and Gloria visited Colonial Roads 2/29/2012 Peter and Gloria visited it