Paia School Flag Pole WWII Memorial - Paia, HI
Posted by: silverquill
N 20° 54.005 W 156° 21.784
4Q E 774307 N 2313342
Quick Description: The historic Paia School was the first all English government school on Maui when it opened (at another location) on Jan. 17, 1881. There is a bronze plaque at the base of the flag pole honoring students who gave their lives in World War II.
Location: Hawaii, United States
Date Posted: 2/29/2012 8:11:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMDW4N
IN MEMORY OF
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN WORLD WAR II
FRED S. OGATA
The campus of this school covers 10 acres. There are two main buildings and several outbuildings, including one wooden classroom dating from the 1920s. The school is still in use.
Here is a little bit more history form the NPS Nomination Form:
"Paia Elementary School, sited on a campus with mountain and ocean views and a large open playground area, remains considerably intact. The two main concrete classroom buildings (designated Buildings A and B on the attached site plan) are sited at a right angle to each other and open to the sloped playground supervision area. Primary and
special education are housed in Building B, a one story reinforced concrete building built in 1930, with four classrooms added in 1936.
Other classrooms are housed in the main, two-story Building A which also houses offices, staff toilets, the health room and an assembly room. There are several wooden structures on the campus that were also built in the late 1920's-1930's, including a cafeteria constructed in 1936. Except for a wooden bus stop shelter, a small wooden storage cottage and a custodial cottage that closely resemble other wooden structures on the site, no new buildings have been added since 1936.
The areas of significance for these buildings relate to the developments of public education in Maui during the pre-war era and the architecture of Maui's public schools. It was the first all English speaking government school in Maui and the first school on
Maui to build a housekeeping training cottage and teachers' cottages."