Salt Lake Community College Time Capsule - Taylorsville, UT
N 40° 40.318 W 111° 56.645
12T E 420208 N 4502772
Quick Description: This time capsule is located on the Salt Lake Community College Redwood Campus in Taylorsville, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 9:46:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMDTVQ
This time capsule is located at the center of campus, west of the Student Center and at the northeast edge of the Alder Ampitheater. It is marked with a etched stone marker, flush with the grass and next to a concrete berm wall about two feet high. The marker reads:
Buried in 1999 on our 50th Anniversary
From 50 to 100 is a Giant Leap
Salt Lake Community College - Building Learning Serving
These Are Things We Thought We Should Keep
To be opened during our 100th Annivesary
In the center of the marker is a circle with a depiction of mountains and buildings. Across the circle it reads:
A little history about the Salt Lake Community College.
Salt Lake Community College is a multi-campus, two-year community college. Its 103-acre main campus (Redwood) is located ten miles south and slightly west of downtown Salt Lake City. The state legislature established it in 1947 as a state-supported vocational school under the management and control of the Utah State Board for Vocational Education. Classes began in the fall of 1948. In 1978 it became part of the Utah System of Higher Education under the jurisdiction of the Utah State Board of Regents.
Originally known as the Salt Lake Area Vocational School, it was intended primarily, but not exclusively, to serve returning World War II veterans. Its name has changed several times since then: in 1959 to Salt Lake Trade Technical Institute; in 1967 to Utah Technical College; and in 1987 to Salt Lake Community College. It was originally located near downtown Salt Lake City, at Fourth South and Sixth East, in buildings at first leased. In 1959 seventy-two acres of land near 4700 South and Redwood Road were purchased for a new campus, and over the next twelve years thirty-one additional acres were acquired. Building construction began in the early 1960s, and classes were first offered at the new campus in 1967. In addition to the main campus, the college also maintains facilities and offers classes at seven other locations in the Salt Lake Valley and one in Tooele City.
Source: (visit link