Caterpillar Sixty - Puunene, HI
Posted by: silverquill
N 20° 52.144 W 156° 27.314
4Q E 764770 N 2309752
Quick Description: This vintage crawler tractor is on display outside the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum in Puunene, Maui. It was the largest Caterpillar tractor in production, and was used in the sugar cane fields.
Location: Hawaii, United States
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 1:20:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMDTH7
1930 Caterpillar Sixty
"Cat Sixty" tractors were used extensively in sugar
plantation operations. This particular tractor, which is still
in operating condition, was built in 1930 at Caterpillar
Tractor Co.'s San Leandro, California, plant.
The model Sixty originate in 1919, as the largest
tractor built by C.L. Best Tractor Co. Its design was
revolutionary for large crawler tractors of the day: simple,
rugged design of frame and components, durable
undercarriage, and the use of roller bearings in key com-
ponents throughout the machine.
The model Sixty was retained when Best merged
with The Hold Manufacturing Company to form
Caterpillar Tractor Co. in 1925. The model continued to
be produced through 1931, and it was the first Caterpillar
track-type tractor to be offered with optional diesel
power. The latter meant increased "lugging" ability,
reduced fuel consumption, and simplified maintenance.
In many ways, the Sixty was the first of the modern
crawlers especially suited to heavy duty application,
such as those found in growing sugar cane. The
Caterpillar D8, which descended from the Sixty, is
used in planting and harvesting today.
Donated by: Mark Y. Watase
Restored by: Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Co.
Many wide-track Model Sixty tractors were shipped to Hawaii for the sugar plantations, but they were shipped all over the world and used for everything from logging to road work.
A Wikipedia article has this additional information about the Caterpillar Sixty
"The Caterpillar Sixty was famous for its overhanging radiator, individually mounted cylinders, lever controls, and open clutch.
Initially, the Sixty was used to pull farm equipment and road scrapers. Later, cable lift blades were rigged up, so that the crawlers could be used as a bulldozer.
The Caterpillar Sixty was powered by a four-cylinder, overhead valve gasoline engine that produced 60 horsepower (45 kW) at the belt and 35 horsepower (26 kW) at the drawbar. The Sixty was a 72-inch (1.8 m) gauge machine and weighed 20,500 pounds (9,300 kg)."
To understand the history of Maui, one needs to appreciate the role that the sugar industry has played up to the present day. This museum has a wealth of detail, from documents to carefully created display rooms to outdoor exhibits.
The Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum
was established in 1980, and is located Located directly across from the HC & S sugar mill in Puunene. The museum building itself is one of the few remaining buildings of the original plantation in Puuene, dating from 1902.
The Museum is home to many artifacts, photos and documents related to the history of the sugar industry and life on the Maui plantations. Many immigrants contributed to the flourishing of the sugar plantations including those from Japan and later from the Philippines and others.
Special exhibits include:
The Geography Room
The Water Room
The Human Resources Room
The Plantation Room
The Field Work Room
The Mill Room