Moruya, former, NSW, 2537
Posted by: Tuena
S 35° 54.711 E 150° 04.692
56H E 236336 N 6021883
Quick Description: Built in 1887 the Post & Telegraph Office operated at this location until being sold & converted into a Bed & Breakfast.
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Date Posted: 2/20/2012 2:08:51 PM
Waymark Code: WMDRX8
The following history of the building is from the Heritage database of the NSW Government's Environment & Heritage Department:
The very impressive Post Office building on the corner of Page and Campbell Streets was opened ready for business with due ceremony in November 1887 having moved from its Vulcan Street site. It is believed that the high cost of land closer to the centre of town was the reason for the then remote location of the new Post Office. The business community was not happy as they believed that it was too far away from the business district. It was constructed from bricks made by Mr Walters at a new brick yard in Campbell Street and features a cast iron lace balustrade the total length of the upstairs verandah. The verandah suddenly rose in popularity in the early 1800s. "Country people", writes Professor Freeland, "found that it was an excellent airy, shady place for cooling both of milk and people".
The Post Office business was transacted in the ground floor, while the residence occupied the top floor. The building was extended on the Campbell St frontage to accommodate a telegraph office in 1926. The building's cast iron detail is in excellent condition and beautifully detailed, as are the bracketted eaves of the top floor.
Credit: (visit link