Lieutenant John Shaw - Union Cemetry - S. Carver, MA
Posted by: silverquill
N 41° 51.464 W 070° 45.491
19T E 354065 N 4635475
Quick Description: This bronze plaque marks the resting place of Lieutenant John Shaw (1726-1802), a veteran of the U.S. Revolutionary War.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 2/18/2012 6:15:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMDR7R
Still searching for a biography of this veteran. There are at least two other Lieutenants with the same name, including one from New York and one who was commander of the 12-gun Schooner Enterprise
But this plaque was placed by the Lt. John Shaw Society to mark his burial here in Union Cemetery. An entry in Roots Web gives his date of birth as September 16, 1727, in Middleborough, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, and his death as July 28, 1802, here in Carver, Massachusetts.
Union Cemetery contains the graves of some of the earliest residents of Carver, with some dating back to the late 18th century. This was before Union Church was built, but it has a direct connection to the old South Meetinghouse that was located on the other side of the cemetery. There have been burials here up to the present with over 600 graves here, including veterans of the Revolutionary War.
This striking Gothic style church building was constructed in 1854-1855 largely under the leadership of prominent Carver resident William Savery and the proprietors of South Meeting House which had been erected in 1772. Intended as a place for local residents to gather for worship, Union Church was the first nondenominational church in America. It is adjacent to Union Cemetery on South Main Street. Many of the graves here predate the church, with burials still taking place.
In 2008 the church building underwent a major renovation of both the exterior and interior. It is unheated and retains a 150 year-old pump organ. There is no active worshiping congregation any longer. The church is maintained for its historic value and opened just twice a year for services, including a Christmas candlelight service.
BY HEIRS OF THE PROPRIETORS
OF THE ORIGINAL
SOUTH MEETING HOUSE
WHICH WAS ERECTED IN 1772
ON A SITE 1/3 MILES TO THE
DEDICATED JULY 28, 1855
INCORPORATED AUGUST 16, 1908
THE UNION SOCIETY OF
SOUTH CARVER MASSACHUSETTS
THIS PLAQUE DEDICATED IN 1976 BY
MEMBERS OF THE UNION SOCIETY
IN OBSERVANCE OF THE BICENTENNIAL
PLEASE NOTE: This category is for American Revolutionary War Veterans only. Veterans of other revolutions are not part of this category.
I have allowed one entry for a grave of British solders, but it was an exception. Please only list graves for Colonial soldiers.
Simply visit the locations. Please provide as much information as possible. Pictures would be a great addition.