General Frederich Von Steuben - Philadelphia, PA
N 39° 58.033 W 075° 10.977
18S E 484375 N 4424134
Quick Description: Bronze statue of General Steuben can be found in the Garden of Heroes @ the west side of the Philadelphia Art Museum. He is credited with being one of the fathers of the Continental Army in teaching them the essentials of military drills & tactics.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:12 PM
Waymark Code: WMDQP1
The statue was placed in 1947 and sculpted by Warren Wheelock (1880-1960).
A parade of Revolutionary War veterans statues line the sides of a huge courtyard found to the rear of the west side of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. There are three to the right and the same amount to the left. If your back is to the Museum, this statue is the third or last one on the right. Simply walk down the the level of stairs and walk to the end on the right.
All the statues are made of bronze and look similar, both in composition, form, size and subject matter. This statue dimensions are approximately: Sculpture: approx. H. 114 in.; Base: approx. H. 91 in. and is of polished granite base with of course the bronze sculpture on top. There is a simple incised inscription on front which reads:
Native of Prussia
He served the cause of
as Major General and
Inspector General. He
perfected the training
and organization of the
SIRIS describes the statue as a standing portrait of General Von Steuben dressed in his Revolutionary War uniform consisting of a jacket with fringed epaulets and long tails, a long flowing cape, buttoned vest, ruffle-necked shirt, and slim pants tucked into tall boots. On his head he wears a three-cornered hat. A sword hangs from his proper left side. He steps forward with his proper right foot and points out into the distance with his proper right hand.
Frederich von Steuben was a Prussian military expert who joined the American fight for independence as inspector general in 1778. After his successful reorganization of the troops at Valley Forge, he went on to lead his own troops in the siege of Yorktown. After the Revolutionary War, he moved to upstate New York.
This piece was erected through the bequest of General William F. Reilly. The Reilly Trust was initially administered by First People's Bank, but as of the 1993 SOS! survey, Core States Bank was handling the Reilly Trust. This sculpture is one of several which comprises the William M. Reilly Memorial on the west side of the museum. The memorial honors Revolutionary War heroes. The SOS! survey cover sheet notes that current conservation of the piece is the responsibility of the Reilly Trust. C. Louis Borie was the architect of the base.
This area is one of the premier tourist attractions for Philadelphia and referenced several times in their official tourist site. Here is what they have to say:
In 1890 General William M. Reilly of the Pennsylvania National Guard bequeathed funds for a memorial to Revolutionary War heroes. Though it took decades to raise additional money, six sculptures were eventually installed northwest of the Art Museum.
Immortalized in bronze, the Marquis de Lafayette gestures flamboyantly as his cape billows around him. Another European volunteer, Major General Friedrich von Steuben, points steadfastly ahead. General Richard Montgomery, who died in the assault on Quebec, stands pensively with hat in hand. Maritime hero John Paul Jones is shown with his telescope, while General Casimir Pulaski poses fiercely with sword at the ready. Unusual for this group, the sculpture of General Nathanael Greene emphasizes nonmilitary aspects of the man’s character.
Marquis de Lafayette (c. 1947) by Raoul Josset Major
General Friedrich von Steuben (c. 1947) by Warren Wheelock
General Richard Montgomery (c. 1946) by J. Wallace Kelly
John Paul Jones (c. 1957) by Walker Hancock
General Casimir Pulaski (c. 1947) by Sidney Waugh
General Nathanael Greene (c. 1960) by Lewis Iselin Jr.