Posted by: UKRDOUG
N 50° 21.816 E 025° 42.831
35U E 408523 N 5579849
Quick Description: The fortress was built between 1870-1890 by the Imperial Russian government to defend against Austria.
Date Posted: 2/9/2012 10:16:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMDP7V
Along the highway between Rivne and Lviv, near the town of Dubno, is a small hill that one may not notice except for some reason the forest has not been cut down. At the crest of the hill overlooking the village of Tarakaniv is a 19th century underground fortress. Even at 20 meters one would never know that there is a four hectare square military compound that once housed 650 Russian soldiers protecting Mother Russia from a feared invasion by the Austrian and German armies. Only within the last few years has this facility become declassified that it does not yet exist in any tour books.
The fortress descends five stories underground. Only the top two stories can be explored – the lower depths sealed off from the public because the traps set by those who deserted long ago are still waiting for those who might dare to enter. Not even Indiana Jones would dare attempt.
The fortress was built between 1870-1890 by the Imperial Russian government to defend against Austria. The fort itself is a square with each side 230 meters in length. The top of the hill was dug out so that two-stories of the fort that is above the surface, is still below the crest and cannot be seen. A 14-meter thick ditch separates the slope of the hill from the fortress walls. The slopes of the hill contained machine gun and artillery defenses.
Tunnels sealed by metal doors as thick as train rails led from the ditch up to central fort. Rooms concealed within the tunnels held soldiers manning machine guns aimed at any who might make it past the doors. The main tunnel also contained large rooms that served as a laboratory and horse corral. Once a person emerged from the tunnels, he would face a fortress with guarded bunkers. The fortress contained a field hospital, church, bakery, workshop, telegraph and electric stations, several wells with elevated storage tanks, and a canteen.
Unfortunately the fort never served any useful purpose, even during the two World Wars, since it was placed in the wrong location. Only one battle was ever fought here and the fort was abandoned in 1915. Its uncommon architecture, powerful beauty, and a multitude of enigmas marvel the few who have dared to explore its hidden secrets.
Accessibility: Partial access
Condition: Partly ruined
Admission Charge?: no
Website: Not listed
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.