Lester Centennial Historical Marker – Lester, IA
N 43° 26.379 W 096° 20.053
14T E 715732 N 4813091
Quick Description: This historical marker was placed in the city park when the town celebrated its Centennial in 1989.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 2/8/2012 1:28:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMDP3K
This historical marker was placed in the city park when the town celebrated its Centennial in 1989. The words engraved in the granite monument reads:
“Lester, Iowa. The city of Lester was platted by William Thomas and his wife Mary on November 8, 1889. It is located on the southwest quarter of Section 36, Township 100, Range 47. The town became a key shipping point for this farming community due to the railroad junction, formed by the east-west running Rock Island, built in 1887 and the north-south running Sioux City and Northern Railroad, now known as the Great Northern, built in 1889.
“In 1889, J.A. Hastings erected a building on the south side of the tracks and opened a store with hardware supplies, drugs, and sundries. Hastings was appointed postmaster, and part of is store was used as a post office. For a short time after this, the town was known as Hastings. Lester received its present day name from Lester B. Cleveland, who perished with his brother James, while watering the family cattle in Mud Creek a short distance northwest of the town site during the blizzard of January 12, 1888. Lester, Lyon County, Iowa was incorporated December 19, 1892.”
The monument was erected by the Lester Centennial Committee in 1989. A small playhouse General Store sits next to the marker.
Please post a picture with your log. Thanks!
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.