Castelo de Pena de Aguiar - Vila Pouca de Aguiar, Portugal
Posted by: tmob
N 41° 28.168 W 007° 40.816
29T E 610201 N 4591715
Quick Description: The Castle of Pena de Aguiar was declared as a National Monument in 1982
Location: Vila Real, Portugal
Date Posted: 2/6/2012 2:48:19 AM
Waymark Code: WMDNP2
According to modern archaeological research, the early human occupation of this region dates back to prehistoric times. At the time of the Roman invasion of Iberia, the conquerors were attracted here by the presence of minerals like gold, silver and lead. Were later succeeded by the Visigoths and Moors, these from the eighth century.
Although there is no information about the primitive fortification, inhabited by eagles (Águias) who gave it the name - Aguiar - the castle already existed at the time of the Reconquista, between the tenth and eleventh centuries.
The castle had his name linked to the independence of Portugal, when his "tenens" was in favor of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185).
For this reason the region was invaded and the Castle of Aguiar besieged by a force from Leon, with the intention of instate it to the kingdom of Leon. At the time, D. Gonçalo de Sousa Mendes, lord of the fields in the land of Aguiar and Panóias, comrade in arms of D. Afonso Henriques, hastened to help the people of the castle.
In beginning of the sixteenth century, the town lost its administrative importance, since it is integrated in the charter granted to Aguiar da Pena in 1515.
The castle was declared a National Monument on February 26, 1982.