Pelourinho de Castelo Novo - Castelo Novo, Portugal
Posted by: tmob
N 40° 04.667 W 007° 29.743
29T E 628262 N 4437475
Quick Description: The pillory of Castelo Novo is located in the center of the village's main square
Location: Castelo Branco, Portugal
Date Posted: 1/25/2012 6:55:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMDKC3
«The pillory of Castelo Novo is located in the center of the village's main square, outside the castle walls, in a passage that is bound by the City Hall (from sixteenth-century chronology, subject to later works) and the Solar dos Gamboas (building noble from the eighteenth century).
The construction of this site revealed the transfer of power found in the transition between the Middle Ages and Modern Times, which led to the current configuration of the square and dictated the decay of the castle. This had been the seat of power since 1202, when Castelo Novo (then under the name Alpreade) received its first charter.
The pillory dates of the first decades of the sixteenth century and is linked to the new charter passed the town by D. Manuel, in 1510, the monarch also ordered the inclusion of his coat of arms on the main facade of the city hall.»