Juan Ponce de Leon - St. Augustine, FL
N 29° 53.553 W 081° 18.677
17R E 469945 N 3306919
Quick Description: This statue of Juan Ponce de Leon is located at the east end of Constitution Plaza across from the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, Florida.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 1/22/2012 12:24:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMDJWA
This 5-foot, 10-inch tall full-length bronze statue of Juan Ponce de Leon depicts the explorer with his right hand raised and pointing out in front of him. His left hand rests on his left hip, and he is dressed in 16th century Spanish attire, including a helmet with a feather plume and boots that extend above the knee. The statue stands on a 6-foot tall by 14-foot granite base.
Inscription: (On front of base:) The discoverer of Florida Juan Ponce de Leon landed near this spot 1513. (On back of base:) Presented to the City of St. Augustine by Andrew Anderson M.D 1923.
"The sculpture is a replica of the original created by C. Bupert for J.L. Mott Foundry in Puerto Rico in 1881. This recast was made in 1922 when the City of San Juan, Puerto Rico allowed casts to be made of their sculpture by the Gorham Manufacturing Company of New York. The sculpture was presented to the City of St. Augustine as a gift from civic leader Dr. Andrew Anderson during a dedication ceremony that was a highlight of the Armistice Day program of 1923."