Bow Street - Broad Court, London, UK
N 51° 30.820 W 000° 07.354
30U E 699651 N 5710874
Quick Description: This plaque is on the wall of a building in Broad Court close to the junction with Bow Street.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/18/2012 10:48:22 AM
Waymark Code: WMDHMN
The white plaque is made up of two halves, one over the
other and is fitted to a building opposite the Magistrate's Court. The plaque
"Bow Street / Was formed about 1637. / It has been the residence / of many
notable men / among whom were / Henry Fielding (Novelist). / Sir John Fielding
(Magistrate). / Grinling Gibbons (Woodcarver). / Charles Macklin (Actor). / John
Radcliffe (Physician). / Charles Sackville Earl of / Dorset (Poet). William /
Wycherley (Dramatist). / L.C.C."
"In 1740 Sir Thomas de Veil, established a court house
in Bow Street near the Opera House in Covent Garden. Ten years later, his
successor, Henry Fielding, formed the Bow Street Runners. Initially nicknamed
Robin Redbreasts, on account of their scarlet waistcoats, the original eight Bow
Street Runners were London's first band of constables. Their functions included
serving writs, detective work and arresting offenders. The Bow Street Runners
travelled all over the country in search of criminals and gained a reputation
for honesty and efficiency.
John Stafford, Chief Clerk at Bow Street. used several spies, including John
Castle and George Edwards to help arrest several members of the Spencean
Philanthropists, a group who were involved in the Spa Riots and the Cato Street
Conspiracy. The formation of the London Metropolitan Police force by Sir Robert
Peel in 1829 brought an end to their activities."