Indiana State Monument - Sharpsburg, MD
N 39° 28.861 W 077° 44.896
18S E 263624 N 4373763
Quick Description: Dedicated in 1910, the Indiana State monument is located on Hagerstown Pike just north of intersection with Cornfield Avenue. The memorial, a giant, granite obelisk can be seen as far as a half mile away at the visitor center.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/8/2012 4:36:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMDFDC
The Indiana State is located at the intersection of Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike and Cornfield Avenue, on the right or east side of the road when traveling north on Dunker Church Road. The gigantic New Jersey State monument is right next to it. The obelisk is a person short of 40 feet, making it one of the tallest objects at the battlefield. It is composed of granite and was dedicated by the State of Indiana in 1910. The monument's base includes sculpted mine balls supporting a railing around the platform. The bronze state seal is above the bronze plaque bearing the inscription of the regiments that served here. Below, is the NRHP narrative which gives a full physical description of the obelisk. The very brief inscription reads:
From 1890s to 1960s veterans’ organizations erected monuments to commemorate the people and actions associated the Battle of Antietam (16-18 September 1862). The Indiana State Monument contributes to the National Register District under Criterion A with the period of significance 1800-1899. The monument is designated as structure number 098.
The Indiana State Monument (1910) is significant under Criterion A because of its association with the commemoration of the Battle of Antietam. The monuments and markers at Antietam represent a wide sampling of late 19th and early 20th century military memorialization from the period when such monumentation was in its heyday.
The Indiana State Monument honors all of the Indiana troops who served and died during the Battle of Antietam. It was designed by sculptor John K. Lowe and manufactured by the J.N. Forbes Company of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania for a cost of $15,000. The same company also manufactured the five additional markers that locate where Indiana troops were deployed on 17 September 1862. The dedication ceremony for the Indiana State Monument, as well as the five smaller markers, was held on 17 September 1910. A representative from the 27th Infantry, 3rd Calvary, 14th Infantry, and 7th Infantry served on the Indiana State Monument committee that supervised the financing, construction, and dedication of the monument and markers.
The Indiana State Monument was listed on the National Register on October 15, 1966, with a confirmation National Register form updated and approved by the Keeper on February 10, 1982.
Short Physical Description
he Indiana State Monument is located on the N side of Cornfield Ave. It is a 35’ tall granite obelisk with a bronze infantry plaque and state seal on its west elevation. It sits atop a 22’ square granite base with crenulated corner, four sets of steps, and parapet with parrotball-shaped posts.
The Indiana State Monument is located northeast of the intersection of Cornfield Avenue and Hagerstown Pike, and is made from light Barre, Vermont granite.
Long Physical Description
A 22’ square platform supports a 15’ square crenulated pedestal on which the 35’ tall obelisk sits. The platform is stepped on all four sides, and is encircled by a parapet with parrotball-shaped (artillery shell) posts. The shaft of the obelisk tapers from 3’6” at the pedestal to 2’6” at its peak. A square bronze plaque on the west elevation of the pedestal reads: “INDIANA/ 7TH INFANTRY/ 14TH INFANTRY/ 19TH INFANTRY/ 27TH INFANTRY/ 3RD CAVALRY”
A granite boundary line surrounds the monument, but is considered a separate structure. The monument has a few open joints, discoloration of the granite, and some insect infestation.
1. NRHP Nomination Form
2. Stone Sentinels
3. Virtual Antietam
4. Historical Marker Database
5. National Park Service