Cymmer Railway Viaduct - Wales.
N 51° 39.116 W 003° 39.160
30U E 454847 N 5722527
Quick Description: The Llynfi and Ogmore Railway Viaduct constructed mainly of iron with a wooden decking (now missing) on large stone piers and was built in 1878 to link with the South Wales Mineral Railway.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/8/2012 1:23:32 PM
Waymark Code: WMDFCH
"1856 South Wales Mineral line.
This ran from Briton Ferry via Cimla, Tonmawr, Gyfylchi Tunnel, Cyonville, Nant y Bar, Abercregan, Cymmer to Glyncorrwg. This was the first real railway. Engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel the railway was of the broad gauge size, and so the tunnel through Gyfylchi mountain is worthy of note for its extra size. Although built to broad gauge, by the time it came to Cymmer it had been reverted to standard gauge as Brunel had died.
1877 Lynfi and Ogmore Extension No. 6, Maesteg to Cymmer.
As an extension to the Lynfi and Ogmore Railway, its orginal intention was to enter Cymmer via a tunnel and then link up with the South Wales Mineral by way of a viaduct in Cymmer that was made of stone and iron. This was an unusual combination for railway companies, but the engineer felt that he might not get enough stone masons in the area. When the railway arrived the GWR saw the potential of the valley for the extraction of coal and so extended the railway to Glenavon Colliery and then on to Abergwynfi where they sunk the Western Colliery in 1877."
Source:- (visit link