By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

SUNBURY CLOCKTOWER, SUNBURY CROSS, SURREY UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member AngelPick
N 51° 25.170 W 000° 25.211
30U E 679374 N 5699634
Quick Description: Erected for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in June 1897, now outside the shops, originaly in the centre of the road before the M3 came along.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/29/2011 1:36:33 AM
Waymark Code: WMDDC2
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 3

Long Description:
A rather pleasant looking clock tower right next to the start of the M3 motorway and the largest network of pedestrian subways I have seen outside of London.

The Spelthorne council website reveals this:
The Sunbury Clock at Sunbury Cross was erected in June 1897 in celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and has become a distinctive Spelthorne landmark. Refurbishment of the shopping centre has made Sunbury Cross more prominent, and attractive with a wider range of shopping and car parking facilities for shoppers, in a modern pleasant environment.

And this website www.ahsoc.fsnet.co.uk/staines/suncross.htm has this “interesting and alternative” info:
Sunbury Cross was once a large multijunction with a Victorian clock tower in the centre; it is now the terminal of the M3 and has an enormous latter-day Silbury Hill supporting the road. The clock tower has been moved to a less imposing position at the side. It was found quite early on that it is an important ley centre; one of its leys is the Silchester Ley, previously discovered at the Roman city at Silchester by Alfred Watkins. The Egham Causeway ley through the Negen Stones site goes through it, first picking up a quite long stretch of road leading to it.

A plaque on the clock reads:

THIS CLOCK WAS ERECTED AND DEDICATED IN 1897 TO COMMEMORATE THE DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA AND WAS RESTORED AND REDEDICATED 20TH JUNE 1997.

The plaque in the “gardens” reads:

SUNBURY CLOCK 1897 – 1997/This Clock Tower was erected to celebrate the/DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA/funded by public subscription by residents of Sunbury Common/and set in motion by the Vicar of St Saviour’s Church/the rev’d W J Scott/it was presented to the local authority/on a Saturday in June 1897/Its centenary was celebrated at a ceremony performed by/the Mayor of Spelthorne Councillor Mrs M Hartley/the Bishop of Kensington, the Right Rev’d M J Colclough/and the Vicar of St Saviours Church the Rev’d A F P Brown/on Friday 20th June 1997.

The new area for this clock and tower has been cleaned, refurbished and a few benches and a fence added to block off the view of the traffic.

Originaly this was in the middle of a busy crossroads before the coming of the motorway. Can’t find when it was moved but did source a photograph of its original location.
Status: Working

Display: Free Standing

Year built: 6/6/1897

Web link to additional info: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Topster20 visited SUNBURY CLOCKTOWER, SUNBURY CROSS, SURREY UK 3/8/2018 Topster20 visited it