Torre de Fornells - Menorca, Spain
Posted by: manchanegra
N 40° 03.680 E 004° 07.830
31T E 596413 N 4435176
Quick Description: Martello Tower built by the English at the beginning of the 19th century in order to prevent enemy landings
Location: Islas Baleares, Spain
Date Posted: 12/23/2011 4:05:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMDC4W
Torre de Fornells is one of the many coastal defence towers that surround the coast of Menorca. The Fornells was built between 1801 and 1802, in the era of British domination, in order to prevent enemy landings and to protect the castle of Sant Antoni that is very close. Defence towers controlled the territory and would have housed a small garrison in order to delay possible enemy landings.
The tower of Fornells is truncated cone in shape, built of stone and mortar with its exterior reinforced by blocks of sandstone.
The original entrance door was on the first floor and access was via a wooden staircase that could be removed in case of attack.
The tower was made up of a cistern (mortar proof), a store for arms, munitions and food, a floor that housed the garrison and an artillery platform where there was a small furnace for heating cannon balls (They were fired heated so that they burn enemy ships).
In the early 90's the tower was privately owned and the building was in a very dilapidated state. In 1994 the City of Mercadal bought it, buut, two years later decided to transfer it to Minorca Island Council for a period of 30 years on the condition of taking care of the restoration work and manage the planned museum.
The museum takes the visitor to the beginning of the 19th century and explains about both the daily life in the tower as well as its construction and defensive characteristics.
Source: (visit link
) and wikipedia