By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Richardson's Tavern - Bushnell's Basin, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sagefemme
N 43° 03.731 W 077° 28.604
18T E 298324 N 4770697
Quick Description: Also known as Richardson's Canal House Inn, 1474 Marsh Road, Perinton, NY 14534
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 12/22/2011 8:03:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMDC3J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 5

Long Description:
"The tavern is a two-and-a-half story, five-bay rectangular structure, oriented along an east-west axis with one-story wings attached to each side. Stylistically, the building incorporates features of both the Federal and the Greek Revival modes. The main portion is covered by a shallow-pitched gable roof clad with modern asphalt shingles, and exterior brick chimney straddles the ridge on the west end and a metal vetilating chimney pierces the south slope.

"Two verandahs run the length of both the north and south elevations. The second-story corner bays and the northwest first-story bays are enclosed. The remaining bays are open porches, except for removable glass at the north entrance.... The entire building has been painted its original strong yellow color.

"According to existing records Richardson's Tavern is the last remaining Erie Canal inn in New York State which is still situated on canal waters. The building was closely associated with two modes of transportation, the early nineteenth-century stage routes and the Erie Canal, both of which were significant for their contribution to the expansion and development of the state and nation.

...the tavern dates from about 1818 when it was a stop on the stage route along the Irondequoit Valley and Irondequoit Creek. Archeological and architectural research conducted prior to and during the 1978 restoration suggests that this was a one-and-a-half story brick building designed in the Federal style, with a west wing constructedd in rubble masonry...

During 1817-1824 the Erie Canal was being constructed in order to provide efficient transportation for settlers, farm products and manufactured goods. The canal was completed from the Hudson River to the Irondequoit Valley by 1821. At that point an embankment to carry the canal above the valley and an aqueduct to take the canal over the Genesee River in Rochester had to be built. For two years Bushnell's Basin was the western terminus of the canal and it became the focal point for the transfer of freight and passengers between the canal and major roads. Known as the "West End of the Canal Tavern," the tavern served packet boat and stage coach passengers, and housed some of the laborers who built the "Great Embankment" across the valley. During this time, the canal channel passed in front (to the south) of the tavern." (visit link)
Street address:
1474 Marsh Road
Perinton, NY USA
14534


County / Borough / Parish: Monroe County

Year listed: 1980

Historic (Areas of) Significance: event, architecture/engineering

Periods of significance: 1825-1849, 1800-1824

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic / Hotel, Restaurant

Current function: Commerce/Trade, Restaurant

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sagefemme visited Richardson's Tavern - Bushnell's Basin, NY 11/27/2011 sagefemme visited it