Forks of Wabash
Posted by: GwynEvie
N 40° 52.640 W 085° 31.832
16T E 623815 N 4526179
Quick Description: Marker near the confluence of the Wabash and Little Rivers.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 12/18/2011 10:49:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMDB82
This marker stand at the intersection of highways 9 and 24 on the west side of Huntingon. The text reads:
"The junction of the Wabash and Little rivers, 100 yards south, was the western terminus of the Maumee-Wabash long portage and, in 1835, of the first section of the Wabash and Erie Canal. During the 18th century French and English traders passed this way and, in 1778, Henry Hamilton brought 171 British troops and 350 Indians with 40 boats through the portage enroute to retake Fort Sackville at Vincennes. Three Miami villages were located here and Chiefs Richardville and LaFontaine once lived here. The Forks was the scene of many Indian councils and the Miami Treaties of 1834, 1838 and 1840."
The marker was placed by the Society of Indiana Pioneers. Another IHM stands nearby, on the west side of Rt. 9.
Year Placed: 1972
Name: Forks of Wabash
Post a photo of: the marker in relation to its surroundings, other details of the site, you or a team member at the location, etc.