Estufa Fria - Lisboa, Portugal
Posted by: manchanegra
N 38° 43.722 W 009° 09.306
29S E 486518 N 4286682
Quick Description: The Estufa Fria (Cold Greenhouse) is a garden located in the Parque Eduardo VII, in Lisbon.
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Date Posted: 12/5/2011 4:28:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMD8N5
The Estufa Fria (Cold Greenhouse) is a garden located in the Parque Eduardo VII, in Lisbon. Its name comes from having been imagined as place to shelter various plants without the use of a heating system (in the cold zone).
The Estufa Fria opened in 1933 and was the result of a project designed by architect Raul Carapinha. It was built on an area of ancient basalt extraction, activity that stopped after the discovery of a water source on site.
With about 1.5 hectares in area it´s divided in three parts, the Estufa Fria (Cold Greenhouse) itself, the Estufa Quente (Hot Greenhouse) and the Estufa Doce (Sweet Greenhouse).
The cold area, the largest of the three with about 8100 square meters, is covered with slats of wood that naturally controls the temperature and light inside. It´s the home of species from various parts of the globe like the azalea (Rhododendron spp.) and the camellias (Camellia japonica).
The Estufa Quente (Hot Greenhouse) occupies about 3000 square meters and houses tropical species such as coffee (Coffea sp.) or mango (Mangifera indica).
The Estufa Doce (Sweet Greenhouse) has fresh and succulents species belonging to the family Cactaceae and other such as aloe (Aloe vera).
All Greenhouse is studded with small lakes and waterfalls statues.
From the Historic Marker:
"A Estufa Fria, situada no local de uma antiga pedreira, começou a ser plantada em 1910 integrada no projecto urbanistico do Parque Eduardo VII. Com regatos artificiais e uma profusão de plantas exóticas obteve de imediato a adesão do publico, sofrendo sucessivas ampliações, que posteriormente levram á construção da Estufa Quente e de um pavilhão envidraçado para a realização de exposições temporarias e feiras.
The Estufa Fria, situated in the site of an ancient quarry statred being planted in 1910, as par of the urban plan of the Parque Eduardo VII. WIth artificial brooks and a wide variety of exotic plants, it immediately gained public adherence, having undergone successive enlargements wich led later to the building of the Estufa Quente and of a glass pavillion for temporary exhibitions and fairs."
Age/Event date: 1910
Type of Historic Markers: Plaque only
Related Website: [Web Link]
Type of historic marker if other:: Not listed
Historic Resources: Not listed
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.