Pont Alexandre III - 1900 - Paris, France
Posted by: Metro2
N 48° 51.794 E 002° 18.821
31U E 449663 N 5412479
Quick Description: Construction of this beautiful bridge was completed in 1900 for the Universal Exposition that same year.
Location: Île-de-France, France
Date Posted: 11/18/2011 7:25:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMD4QW
This beautifully sculpted bronze bridge date marker simply reads:
PONT ALEXANDRE III
This arch bridge spans the Seine between the Invalides and the Champs-Élysées. The bridge has many beautiful sculptures. It was named after the Tsar of Russia who had concluded the Franco-Russian Alliance in 1892.
Wikipedia (visit link
) has this to add about the bridge:
"Numerous sculptors provided the sculpture that features prominently in the bridge. Four gilt-bronze statues of Fames watch over the bridge, supported on massive 17-meter socles, that provide stabilizing counterweight for the arch, without interfering with monumental views. The socles are crowned by Fames restraining Pegasus : on the Right Bank, Renommée des Sciences ("Fame of the Sciences") and the Renommée des Arts ("Fame of the Arts") both by Emmanuel Frémiet; at their bases, La France Contemporaine ("Contemporary France") by Gustave Michel and France de Charlemagne ("France of Charlemagne") by Alfred Lenoir. The lions groups are by Georges Gardet.
On the Left Bank, the Renommée du Commerce ("Fame of Commerce") by Pierre Granet and the Renommée de l'Industrie ("Fame of Industry") by Clément Steiner; at their bases France de la Renaissance ("France of the Renaissance") by Jules Coutan and La France de Louis XIV ("France of Louis XIV") by Laurent Marqueste. The lions groups are by Jules Dalou.
At the centres of the arches, Nymphs of the Seine with the arms of France correspond with Nymphs of the Neva with the arms of Imperial Russia on the other face; both are executed in hammered copper over forms by Georges Récipon. (In the same political spirit, the Trinity Bridge in Saint Petersburg was conceived as a memorial to the Franco-Russian Alliance. It was designed by Gustave Eiffel, and the first stone laid in August 1897 by French president Félix Faure.)"