LAST remaining depot on the Gogebic Range - Ironwood, MI
Posted by: lenron
N 46° 27.313 W 090° 10.253
15T E 717257 N 5148517
Quick Description: Romanesque brick and sandstone railroad depot in Ironwood, Michigan.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 11/16/2011 12:33:09 PM
Waymark Code: WMD49Q
This depot is the last remaining depot on the Gogebic Range, according to many sources including discoverourtown.com. The depot, constructed in the Romanesque style was built of brick and sandstone in 1892.
The Gogebic Range is defined by Wikipedia as:
The Gogebic Range extends from Lake Gogebic to the Wisconsin border in the east. It is located at the far western tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on the south shore of Lake Superior. It refers both to the range of mountains that runs along the route and to the surrounding communities that built up during a boom period following in the 1880s. The term Gogebic Range is also used to refer to the same area extending across the border into Wisconsin, and extending west through a portion of Bayfield County, Wisconsin. The Gogebic Range area experienced an initial speculative boom in the mid-1880s, and saw recurring booms and busts from 1884 to 1967. The Gogebic Range includes the communities of Ironwood, Michigan, Wakefield, Michigan, Hurley, Wisconsin Bessemer, Michigan,Ramsay, Michigan and ski country area of Big Powderhorn. The term Gogebic is Ojibwa for "where trout rising to the surface make rings in the water."
The depot still stands and houses a historical museum and chamber of commerce. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Related links: [Web Link]
additional Related links: Not listed
parking coordinates: Not Listed