Roblin's Mill - Toronto, ON, Canada
N 43° 46.496 W 079° 31.188
17T E 619121 N 4847940
Quick Description: Roblin's Mill, constructed in 1842, was relocated from Ameliasburg, Ontario, to the Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto, Ontario.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 11/12/2011 1:18:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMD35G
"Roblin's Mill 1842
Original location: Ameliasburg, Ontario (Prince Edward County)
Roblin's Mill was built in 1842 by Owen Roblin, the grandson of a United Empire Loyalist. When purchased by the Metro Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, the mill was scheduled for demolition. The original timbers, flooring and machinery were salvaged and moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1964. When the Mill was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village it was established that the original 1848 wheel measuring 30 ft. in diameter was not necessary to achieve the same results. In 1965 a replacement wheel of red oak measuring 18 feet in diameter was installed. The red oak did not prove to be as resistant to weathering as had been hoped and in August 1984 a new wheel made of white oak and weighing 6000 pounds was installed. Today, Roblin's Mill is the only operating stone mill in Toronto."
"Black Creek Pioneer Village is a historic site in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, just west of York University and southeast of the Jane and Steeles intersection. It overlooks Black Creek, a tributary of the Humber River. The village is a recreation of life in 19th-century Ontario and gives an idea how rural Ontario might have looked in the early-to-mid-19th century. The village is a regular destination for field trips by schoolchildren from the Greater Toronto Area. It is operated by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.
B. Napier Simpson, Jr. 1925-1978, a restoration architect in Ontario devoted his professional life to raising public awareness of the importance of heritage conservation including the Black Creek Pioneer Village project.
The pioneer village consists of over forty historic 19th century buildings, decorated in the style of the 1860s with period furnishings. It is operated by historical interpreters and craftspeople housed in the restored buildings. The site also features historical re-enactments and visiting artisans. Buildings include Dalziel barn, period houses, the original Stong Family farm buildings, a water-powered grist mill, a general store, a blacksmith's shop along with over 10 other trades buildings, a hotel, a church, and a one-room schoolhouse. A core of buildings built by the Stong family are on their original sites, while others have been moved in from across Southern Ontario.
The majority of the buildings were moved from their original sites (notably the large Halfway House and Mennonite Meeting House), and some re-built on their current locations."