Convento de Monfurado - Montemo-O-Novo
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MightyReek
N 38° 34.431 W 008° 11.619
29S E 570240 N 4269796
Quick Description: A delicious abandoned convent to explore.
Location: Évora, Portugal
Date Posted: 11/11/2011 2:16:36 PM
Waymark Code: WMD2XW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 6

Long Description:
CONVENTO DOS MONGES OU DE N. SR.A DO CASTELO DAS COVAS DE MONFURADO

"Situado na Serra do Monfurado, Concelho de Montemor-o-Novo no limite da freguesia de Santiago de Escoural a cerca de 8 km desta vila, o Convento dos Monges ou de Nossa Senhora do Castelo Das Covas de Monfurado foi fundado no século XVIII por um grupo de eremitas que se abrigava no “monte furado”. Os abrigos que estes utilizavam eram minas romanas que se localizam nas proximidades do actual monumento.

Os terrenos para a construção deste foram oferta de um benemérito (João de Vila lobos e Vasconcelos, Lavrador-fidalgo montemorense) que muito os admirava.

Tal como todos os outros conventos masculinos foi extinto em 1834, tendo passado para as mãos de privados.

Apesar do seu aspecto deplorável, o seu interior é muito movimentado...

Muito interessante é o facto de manter ainda grande parte da estrutura conventual original. Sei por informações orais que as casas que o circundam foram habitadas até pelo menos aos anos 80 do século XX.

----------------------------------------------------------
Located in the Serra do Monfurado, County of Montemor-o-Novo on the edge of the parish of Santiago de Escoural about 8 km of this town, the Convent of Monks or Our Lady of the Castle Of Monfurado Pits, was founded in the eighteenth century by a group of hermits who are housed in the "stuck lot." shelters that they were using Roman mines that are located near the current monument.

The land for the construction of this offer have been a benefactor (John of Villa Lobos and Vasconcelos, Labrador montemorense gentleman) who greatly admired.

Like all other male convents closed in 1834, having passed into the hands of private.

Despite its dismal aspect, the interior is very busy ...

Very interesting is the fact that still keep much of the original structure convent. I know from oral information that the houses that surround it were inhabited until at least 80 years of the twentieth century.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Convento de Nossa Senhora Do Castelo das Covas de Monfurado

Address:
Herdade da Defes
Escoural, Évora Portugal


Religious affiliation: Eremite monks

Date founded/constructed: XVIII century

Status of Use: Abandoned Ruin

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.