Mosteiro da Batalha - Batalha, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 39° 39.526 W 008° 49.586
29S E 514889 N 4389899
Quick Description: [PT] Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitória, mais conhecido como Mosteiro da Batalha, é um convento dominicano na Batalha.[ENG]Mosteiro Santa Maria da Vitória, more commonly known as the Batalha Monastery, is a Dominican convent in Bataalha.
Location: Leiria, Portugal
Date Posted: 11/11/2011 3:08:09 AM
Waymark Code: WMD2T3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 7

Long Description:
[PT]
O Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitória (mais conhecido como Mosteiro da Batalha) situa-se na Batalha, Portugal, e foi mandado edificar por D.João I de Portugal como agradecimento à Virgem Maria pela vitória na Batalha de Aljubarrota. Este mosteiro dominicano foi construído ao longo de dois séculos, desde o início em 1386 até cerca de 1517, ao longo do reinado de sete reis de Portugal, embora desde 1388 já ali vivessem os primeiros dominicanos. Exemplo da arquitectura gótica tardia portuguesa, ou estilo manuelino, é considerado património mundial pela UNESCO, e em 7 de Julho de 2007 foi eleito como uma das sete maravilhas de Portugal. Em Portugal, o IPPAR ainda classifica-o como Monumento Nacional, desde 1910.

História:
No arranque das obras do Mosteiro da Batalha foi construído um pequeno templo, cujos vestígios eram ainda visíveis no princípio do século XIX. Era nesta edificação ? Santa Maria-a-Velha, também conhecida por Igreja Velha ? que se celebrava missa, dando apoio aos operários do estaleiro. Tratava-se de uma obra pobre, feita com escassos recursos.
Em traços esquemáticos conhece-se a evolução do estaleiro propriamente dito e o grau de avanço das obras. Sabe-se que ao projecto inicial corresponde a igreja, o claustro e as dependências monásticas inerentes, como a Sala do Capítulo, sacristia, refeitório e anexos. É um modelo que se assemelha ao adoptado, em termos de orgânica interna, pelo grande mosteiro alcobacense.
A capela do Fundador, capela funerária, foi acrescentada a este projecto inicial pelo próprio rei D. João I, o mesmo acontecendo com a rotunda funerária conhecida por Capelas Imperfeitas, da iniciativa do rei D. Duarte.
O claustro menor e dependências adjacentes, ficaria a dever-se à iniciativa de D. Afonso V, sendo de notar o desinteresse de D. João II pela edificação. Voltaria a receber os favores reais com D. Manuel, mas somente até 1516-1517, ou seja, ate à sua decisão em favorecer decididamente a fábrica do Mosteiro dos Jerónimos.
O Mosteiro foi restaurado no Século XIX, sob a direcção de Luís Mouzinho de Albuquerque, de acordo com a traça de Thomas Pitt, viajante inglês que estivera em Portugal nos fins do Século XVIII, e que dera a conhecer por toda a Europa o mosteiro através das suas gravuras. Neste restauro, o Mosteiro sofreu transformações mais ou menos profundas, designadamente pela destruição de dois claustros, junto das Capelas Imperfeitas e, num quadro de extinção das ordens religiosas em Portugal, pela remoção total dos símbolos religiosos, procurando tornar o Mosteiro num símbolo glorioso da Dinastia de Avis e, sobretudo, da sua primeira geração (a dita Ínclita Geração de Camões). Data dessa altura a actual configuração da Capela do Fundador e a vulgarização do termo Mosteiro da Batalha (celebrando Aljubarrota) em detrimento de Santa Maria da Vitória, numa tentativa de erradicar definitivamente as designações que lembrassem o passado religioso do edifício.


[ENG]
Mosteiro Santa Maria da Vitória, more commonly known as the Batalha Monastery, is a Dominican convent in Batalha, in the District of Leiria, Portugal. It is one of the best and original examples of Late Gothic architecture in Portugal, intermingled with the Manueline style.

History:
The convent was built to thank the Virgin Mary for the Portuguese victory over the Castilians in the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385, fulfilling a promise of King John I of Portugal. The battle put an end to the 1383-1385 crisis.
It took over a century to build, starting in 1386 and ending circa 1517, spanning the reign of seven kings. It took the efforts of fifteen architects (Mestre das Obras da Batalha), but for seven of them the title was no more than an honorary title bestowed on them. The construction required an enormous effort, using extraordinary resources of men and material. New techniques and artistic styles, hitherto unknown in Portugal, were deployed.
Work began in 1386 by the Portuguese architect Afonso Domingues who continued till 1402. He drew up the plan and many of the structures in the church and the cloister are his doing. His style was essentially Rayonnant Gothic, however there are influences from the English Perpendicular Period. There are similarities with the façade of York Minster and with the nave and transept of Canterbury Cathedral.
He was succeeded by Huguet from 1402 to 1438. This architect, who was probably from Catalonian descent, introduced the Flamboyant Gothic style. This is manifest in the main façade, the dome of the square chapter house, the Founder's Chapel, the basic structure of the Imperfect Chapels and the north and east naves of the main cloister. He raised the height of the nave to 32.46 m. By altering the proportions he made the interior of the church even seem narrower. he also completed the transept but he died before he could finish the Imperfect Chapels.
During the reign of Afonso V of Portugal, the Portuguese architect Fernão de Évora continued the construction between 1448 and 1477. He added the Cloister of Afonso V. He was succeeded by the architect Mateus Fernandes the Elder in the period 1480-1515. This master of the Manueline style worked on the portal of the Capelas Imperfeitas. Together with the famous Diogo Boitac he realized the tracery of the arcades in the Claustro Real. Work on the convent continued into the reign of John III of Portugal with the addition of the fine Renaissance tribune (1532) by João de Castillo. The construction came to a halt, when the king decided to put all his efforts in the construction of the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon.
The earthquake of 1755 did some damage, but much greater damage was inflicted by the Napoleonic troops of Marshall Masséna, who sacked and burned the complex in 1810 and 1811. When the Dominicans were expelled from the complex in 1834, the church and convent were abandoned and left to fall in ruins.
In 1840, king Ferdinand II of Portugal started a restoration program of the abandoned and ruined convent, saving this jewel of Gothic architecture. The restoration would last till the early years of the 20th century. It was declared a national monument in 1907. In 1980 the monastery was turned into a museum.
The Batalha convent was added in 1983 by UNESCO to its list of World Heritage sites.

Fonte: (visit link)
Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please provide another photo of the location. You don't have to be in there shot, but you can. The photo requirement is to discourage any armchair visiting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Satellite Imagery Oddities
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
CASPER&AERO visited Mosteiro da Batalha - Batalha, Portugal 9/22/2013 CASPER&AERO visited it
bmps2003 visited Mosteiro da Batalha - Batalha, Portugal 9/27/2012 bmps2003 visited it
tofixe visited Mosteiro da Batalha - Batalha, Portugal 11/11/2011 tofixe visited it

View all visits/logs