CCC Structures at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
N 32° 10.534 W 104° 26.608
13S E 552467 N 3560032
Quick Description: N 32° 10.534 W 104° 26.608
Location: New Mexico, United States
Date Posted: 11/4/2011 8:25:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMD14P
The text on the sign here reads:
"Remembering the CCC
The buildings aross the canyon have served Carlsbad Caverns since the early 20th century. the prominent adobe and stucco houses illustrate the workmanship of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Built in the early 1940s these CCC structures blended easily into their surroundings. The CCC established in 1930 by President Franklin D Roosevelt, previded a lifeline of hope to the discouraged young men of the Great Depression. In the program, the CCC "boys" earned $30 a month, learned vocational skills, and earned high school diplomas. The CCC era ended with the onset of World War II, but the Corps' work on our public lands and notably in our national parks, remains as its legacy."
The surviving CCC structures at Carlsbad Caverns National Park include two employee tri-plexes, two maintenance buildings, all still in use, plus the Bat Cave Draw Rock Terracing.
Link to article about the CCC projects at Carlsbad Caverns, written by Bob Hoff, Park Historian