Aldeia de Ciladas - [Évora, Portugal]
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member viperunderground
N 38° 48.461 W 007° 16.259
29S E 650128 N 4296855
Quick Description: [PT] Aldeia de Ciladas [EN] Parish of Ciladas
Location: Évora, Portugal
Date Posted: 10/31/2011 8:27:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMD03W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Crystal Sound
Views: 10

Long Description:

Aldeia de Ciladas

Pitfalls of S. Romao is a parish that, initially, was separated into two. Indeed, Wiles and S. Romao were independent, since joining this century for the benefit of both. 
The seven miles from town, the parish consists of the places of Courela Loncanas, Courela the Sierra de Mesquita and belts. Enclose it Terrugem, Vila Viçosa, Sparrows, Juromenha, S. Bras of Matos, S. Lorenzo de Vargas, and the municipality of Vila Boim Elvas. It is the easternmost village of the municipality. 
Father José Joaquim da Rocha Espanca the face of well characterized S. Wiles Rome: "This parish is mountainous and covered in all and was mounted, but with good land and especially at Fort Fatalão. It is crossed by streams and Asseca Borba, which come together in the estate of Mouse, and the coming of the Mures Toils and passes through the reguengo Fatalão to go all merge in the Guadiana. It is unhealthy in the lower parts, but the village is situated on a high spot of Vila Viçosa has good weather. " 


The growth of this parish from the eighteenth century became a reality. Indeed, besides the Mercy, in the village, the estate of S. Rome in strips of land for buildings and grounds. 
In ecclesiastical terms, S. Rome was a curate of the presentation of the Archbishop of Évora. The priest had annual revenue of three hundred and twenty bushels of wheat and barley ninety. As for the healing of Wiles, had all the year two hundred and forty bushels of wheat and one hundred and twenty rye. 
S. of the parish's patron saint Romão, there Panóias monk who died in 566. With his days in the liturgical calendar scheduled for February 28th, is celebrated in this village on 15 August. He was also the patron saint Our Lady of Wiles, when replaced by that of the administrative union invocation. 
The church is the most interesting monument of all that exist in S. Wiles Romao. At first a simple chapel, grew with the centuries and the establishment and growth of the parish. Facing west, that is to say the same for Vila Viçosa, is beside the cemetery. Belfry has two bells on the left side of the facade. Relatively small but has increased in relation to their original dimensions, it has three altars: the main altar, consecrated to the Patron Saint Romão, the altar of Our Lady of the Rosary and Altar of Souls. In 1863, here was founded by Francisco de Paula Jordan a Brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament. 

The church of Nossa Senhora dos Remedios, on the other hand, private property is the strong Ferragudo. It has within it an image of the Blessed Virgin, have manufactured in 1587 by D. Francisco Lobo with the title of Our Lady of the Incarnation. The temple was founded in 1670 by Ambrose Pereira de Castro and Barredo. Next to the chapel, are the other dependencies of the fort, as the house, the home of the homemade, the olive oil press and other infrastructure at the time deemed necessary to place such an important and noble. 
The church of Our Lady of Toils well known to the fusion of two ancient parishes, is the estate of Coal and until that event was the parish of traps. Besides the chapel, has two side altars dedicated to Our Lady of Remedies and Souls, with S. Michael turned down. 
There were other temples in the parish, but in the meantime collapsed by the erosive action of weather or harmful human intervention. 
Currently living in St. Toils Rome about 1150 people. Its main economic activities are agriculture, olive growing, livestock, locksmithing industry, construction and small business. It is agriculture, as can be seen, the main occupation of the people of the parish. Always was, as stated, by the way, Father José Joaquim da Rocha beaten in "Memoirs of Vila Viçosa:" If abounds in cereals, vegetables and livestock, experiencing a lack of fruits and vegetables do not have a river of living waters, and as Bencatel Sparrows for which reason they are more healthy and pleasant. " 

The level of craftsmanship, will there are still few of the artisans, in particular for basketry, tapestry and sewing work. It is a parish with its touch of rurality still subsisting. Although some of the elements that characterize this environment has already been lost. Again the succor of the above-cited ciladense to characterize the man at the end of last century: "The residents of St. Rome, from the same fate as those of Wiles, still distinguished by the use of large umbrellas and long whiskers, wearing gowns of sackcloth sewers. Regarding the use of tripe shorts, jackets with yellow buttons and embodied borzequina, already observed for adopting too much difference pants or trousers and white button-piece. " 
Here they lived until the last century the counts of Bobadela, which achieved great economic and social prestige within the local society. They were owners of an important part of the parish. Source: http://www.sromao.tk/

Ciladas de S. Romão é uma freguesia que, inicialmente, estava separada em duas. Com efeito, Ciladas e S. Romão eram independentes, unindo-se já neste século para proveito de ambas.
A treze quilómetros da sede do concelho, a freguesia é constituída pelos lugares de Courela de Loncanas, Courela do Mesquita e Serra das Correias. Delimitam-na Terrugem, Vila Viçosa, Pardais, Juromenha, S. Brás dos Matos, S. Lourenço de Varge, Vila Boim e o concelho de Elvas. É a mais oriental freguesia deste concelho.
O Pe. Joaquim José da Rocha Espanca caracterizava assim a fisionomia de Ciladas de S. Romão: “Esta freguesia é toda montanhosa e coberta de montados e estevais, mas com boas terras principalmente no Forte e em Fatalão. É atravessada pelas ribeiras de Borba e da Asseca, as quais se juntam na herdade do Ratinho, e pela de Mures que vem das Ciladas e passa pelo reguengo do Fatalão para irem todas fundir-se no Guadiana. É pouco sadia nas partes baixas, mas a aldeia que está situada num ponto alto à vista de Vila Viçosa tem bom clima.”

O crescimento desta freguesia a partir do século XVIII tornou-se uma realidade. Com efeito, a Misericórdia aforou, na aldeia, a herdade de S. Romão em courelas e chãos para edificações.
Em termos eclesiásticos, S. Romão era um curato da apresentação do arcebispo de Évora. O cura tinha de rendimento anual trezentos e vinte alqueires de trigo e noventa de cevada. Quanto ao cura de Ciladas, tinha todos os anos duzentos e quarenta alqueires de trigo e cento e vinte de centeio.
É orago da freguesia S. Romão, monge de Panóias ali falecido em 566. Com o seu dia no calendário litúrgico marcado para 28 de Fevereiro, é festejado nesta povoação a 15 de Agosto. Era também padroeira Nossa Senhora de Ciladas, substituída aquando da união administrativa por aquela invocação.
A igreja matriz é o monumento mais interessante de todos os que existem em Ciladas de S. Romão. De início uma simples ermida, cresceu com o decorrer dos séculos e com a instituição e crescimento da paróquia. Virada para poente, que o mesmo é que dizer para Vila Viçosa, encontra-se ao lado do cemitério. Tem campanário de dois sinos na parte esquerda da fachada. Relativamente pequena, embora aumentada já em relação às suas dimensões originais, tem três altares: o altar-mor, consagrado ao padroeiro S. Romão, o altar de Nossa Senhora do Rosário e o altar das Almas. Em 1863, aqui foi fundada por Francisco de Paula Jordão uma Irmandade do Santíssimo Sacramento.

A igreja de Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, por seu lado, é propriedade particular do forte de Ferragudo. Tem no seu interior uma imagem da Santíssima Virgem, mandada fabricar em 1587 por D. Francisco Lobo com o título de Nossa Senhora da Encarnação. O templo foi fundado em 1670 por Ambrósio Pereira de Barredo e Castro. Junto à capela, encontram-se as outras dependências do Forte, como a casa de campo, a casa dos caseiros, o lagar de azeite e outras infra-estruturas à época consideradas necessárias para espaço tão importante e tão nobre.
A igreja de Nossa Senhora de Ciladas, assim conhecida até à fusão das duas antigas freguesias, encontra-se na herdade do Carvão e era até àquele acontecimento a paroquial de Ciladas. Além da capela-mor, tem dois altares colaterais, dedicados a Nossa Senhora dos Remédios e às Almas, com S. Miguel, virados para baixo.
Existiram outros templos na freguesia, mas entretanto desmoronados por acção erosiva do tempo ou por nefasta intervenção humana.
Actualmente, vivem em Ciladas de S. Romão cerca de 1150 pessoas. As suas principais actividades económicas são a agricultura, a olivicultura, a pecuária, a serralharia civil, a construção civil e o pequeno comércio. É a agricultura, conforme se nota, a principal ocupação das gentes da freguesia. Sempre foi, como referia, aliás, o Pe. Joaquim José da Rocha Espanca em “Memórias de Vila Viçosa: “Se abunda em cereais, legumes e gados, experimenta falta de frutos e hortaliças por não possuir ribeira das águas vivas como Bencatel e Pardais que por isso mesmo são mais saudáveis e aprazíveis”.

A nível de artesanato, vão subsistindo ainda alguns, poucos, artesãos, em especial a nível da cestaria, da tapeçaria e dos trabalhos de costura. É uma freguesia com o seu toque de ruralidade ainda subsistente. Embora alguns dos elementos que caracterizavam esse ambiente já se tenham perdido. Novamente nos socorremos da obra acima citada para caracterizar o homem ciladense em finais do século passado: “Os moradores de S. Rom&atil

Reason for Abandonment: Economic

Date Abandoned: 1/1/1977

Related Web Page: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please include a unique picture or two with your log if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Towns
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Torgut visited Aldeia de Ciladas - [Évora, Portugal] 7/11/2009 Torgut visited it