1895 - Dundas Street Centre United Church - London, Ontario, Canada
N 42° 59.255 W 081° 14.209
17T E 480693 N 4759463
Quick Description: The cornerstone for the red-brick, Romanesque-style Dundas Street Centre United Church was laid in 1895, and the sanctuary was dedicated on May 24, 1896. It was designated as an Ontario Heritage Property in 1991.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 10/30/2011 12:12:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMCZK4
"The Dundas Centre United Church is a fine example of the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. The church was constructed in 1895 of red brick and cut stone, accented by decorative brick coursing and yellow sandstone. Typical of Romanesque revival architecture, it features a slate roof that is punctured by three towers, smaller turrets and gable ends. Two double door entrances with painted glass transoms featuring emblems of Saints Luke and Mark, and an arched portico, decorate the façade. Also of note are the projecting gutter spouts on the main tower and four lanterns over the front doors.
The interior arrangement of Dundas Centre United Church is consistent with the Methodist tradition established in the 19th century and features a centrally placed choir, above the pulpit platform, with an ornamental organ case behind. Also of note, in the interior, is a curving, cantilevered balcony that sweeps around three sides of the sanctuary. The decorative plaster ceiling is supported by Armenian arches and the narthex is framed by curved stairs."
"Dundas Street Centre Methodist Church burned to the ground on February 13, 1895 but was quickly replaced with the present red-brick, Romanesque-style building. The Sunday School Auditorium was finished first and dedicated on October 24, 1895; the Sanctuary was dedicated on May 24, 1896.
The present building is a designated historic site in London. It is recognized for its unique sanctuary with a semicircular freestanding balcony and its beautiful Victorian stained glass windows and dome. Our pipe organ, which was installed in 1930 to replace one destroyed by fire, is a three-manual Casavant (For more information on Casavant organs go to: www.casavant.ca). It has 39 stops, 53 ranks and 3091 pipes. Some pipes are sixteen feet long while others are the size of a pencil! Its console has three keyboards. The keys are rosewood, not the usual metal keys. Furthermore, it is the only organ in this region with a Wood Harp or Marimba."
When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.