Fairchild Building - Winnipeg MB
N 49° 53.938 W 097° 08.504
14U E 633451 N 5529053
Quick Description: This Converted Factory, Fairchild Lofts, is on Princess Street between William Avenue and Bannatyne Avenue in downtown Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Date Posted: 10/29/2011 5:42:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMCZ6G
Built in 1907 as a warehouse for the Fairchild Company, a farm implement dealer, the Fairchild Building is a six-storey, 63,000 sq ft building that was designed by J. D. Atchison and H. B. Rugh.
It was used by the Fairchild Company until 1953 when is was sold to Sterling Cloak Company.
The Sterling Cloak Company were large scale clothing manufacturers who had contacts for making uniforms and outfits for various companies including the Canadian Forces. They converted a good portion of the building into a garment factory
. They became Sterling Stall in the 1970s but continued using the factory until 1984.
Various tenants were in and out of the building until 2004 when an Edmonton-based developer announced that they had purchased the building for conversion into loft-style condominiums with office and retail space on the main floor. The Fairchild Loft Company created 50 residential units that ranged in size from 635 to 1,673 sq ft.
The firm of Neil Cooper Architect Inc. have their name painted on the window but photos are the Syverson Monteyne Architecture website. (visit link