The Booth Hall - Westgate Street, Gloucester, UK
N 51° 52.002 W 002° 14.932
30U E 551718 N 5746479
Quick Description: A blue plaque indicating that the Booth Hall stood at this point.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/29/2011 8:50:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMCPFD
The plaque, near the north west corner of Shire Hall, reads:
"Until 1957 here stood / The Booth Hall / mentioned in 1230, it served / as a Guildhall, Assize Court, / Theatre, Concert Hall and / finally Cinema. Here Shakespeare / probably acted, M.P.s were elected / and George Whitfield preached."
The Booth Hall was the ancient Guildhall, or place like an Exchange, where merchants displayed their wares. Wat year it was converted into an Assize Court is not known. It was rebuilt in 1606 and was a lofty building with many windows. During part of the reign of James 1st it was used as a prison.
Blue Plaque managing agency: Gloucester Tourism Board
Individual Recognized: The Booth Hall
Gloucester, Gloucestershire United Kingdom
Web Address: Not listed
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.