Johnston Hall - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posted by: BruceS
N 43° 02.309 W 087° 55.612
16T E 424499 N 4765505
Quick Description: Historic academic building on the campus of Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 9/11/2011 9:30:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMCJ4F
The university had its beginning in 1857 when two scholarly Jesuit priest established St. Aloysius Academy, with an enrollment of 50 pupils. This school was succeeded seven years later by St. Gall's Academy. In 1880 expansion forced removal to a site at N. 10th and W. State Streets purchased through a gift of $16,000 made in 1848 by Chevalier J.G. De Boeyes of Antwerp, Belgium. The cornerstone of Marquette College, named for one of the first missionaries in the Northwest Territory, was laid in August 1880. The nucleus fort he present campus was provided in 1906 when Robert A. Johnston, Milwaukee industrialist, presented Johnston Hall, 1131 W. Wisconsin Ave., to the college. - Wisconsin: A Guide to the Badger State, Milwaukee section, pg 248.
After Johnston Hall was built the entire university was housed within it. Now the building houses the J. William & Mary Diederich College of Communications and also houses student media.